• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davey205

Wires For Subwoofer

davey205

i have a small subwoofer i want to put in the boot is there anyway i can feed the wire to the boot from the hu without pulling the carpets apart ?

DrSarty
i have a small subwoofer i want to put in the boot is there anyway i can feed the wire to the boot from the hu without pulling the carpets apart ?

?

You've got me confused here. If you're trying to run the subwoofer off the headunit's speaker outputs forget it. I doubt you are, but I thought it best to nip that idea in the bud.

I'm hoping you have an amplifier for the sub, and are talking about getting the RCA (pre-out) wires AND the remote turn on (blue) wire into the boot to provide signal and activation for the amp?

But beyond this is the power and earth requirements for the amp. As 12v in a car is not a thing to get wrong with wiring, it might help a little if you explain exactly what you have and what you want advice on, because simply put you ideally need to run power down one side of the car and RCA & turn on down the other. Earthing is done locally at the amp, and you must use correct gauge cabling to avoid nasties like fires.

Fitting any wires is quite easy, as you take off the door rubbers and carpet clips, and feed the wires under the outer edges of the carpet.

Looking fwd to your reply.

Edited by DrSarty

davey205
?

You've got me confused here. If you're trying to run the subwoofer off the headunit's speaker outputs forget it. I doubt you are, but I thought it best to nip that idea in the bud.

I'm hoping you have an amplifier for the sub, and are talking about getting the RCA (pre-out) wires AND the remote turn on (blue) wire into the boot to provide signal and activation for the amp?

But beyond this is the power and earth requirements for the amp. As 12v in a car is not a thing to get wrong with wiring, it might help a little if you explain exactly what you have and what you want advice on, because simply put you ideally need to run power down one side of the car and RCA & turn on down the other. Earthing is done locally at the amp, and you must use correct gauge cabling to avoid nasties like fires.

Fitting any wires is quite easy, as you take off the door rubbers and carpet clips, and feed the wires under the outer edges of the carpet.

Looking fwd to your reply.

sorry i should have explained its got a built in amplifier. im just transferring it from my saxo so i will be able to see how its all wired up :-)

Edited by davey205

davey205
sorry i should have explained its got a built in amplifier. im just transferring it from my saxo so i will be able to see how its all wired up :-)

OK this is annoying me now, im trying to wire my sub in Ive got all the leads right and earthed it - sub dead as a dodo ive wired it up to the battery checked remote wires and earth and settings on cd player and everything is fine but no juice whatsoever :-(

Guest baileysufc

not to insult you mate has teh sub wire got a fuse in it? is it blown? are you getign power to the sub is the earth good? you can put a direct live to the remote wire to eliminate that if you wish? but only as a temperay mesure as it will drain you battery if you dnt switch it off

davey205
not to insult you mate has teh sub wire got a fuse in it? is it blown? are you getign power to the sub is the earth good? you can put a direct live to the remote wire to eliminate that if you wish? but only as a temperay mesure as it will drain you battery if you dnt switch it off

yeah fuse is fine no offence taken

Guest baileysufc

have you got a multi meter ? or power porbe to check for voltage?

thinkign about it i had the same problem with my old head unit do you have to enable teh pre outs or turn the sub port on?

i did with mine

davey205
have you got a multi meter ? or power porbe to check for voltage?

thinkign about it i had the same problem with my old head unit do you have to enable teh pre outs or turn the sub port on?

i did with mine

no multimeter need to get some tools actually :P there is a setting that u have to enable either rear speakers or subwoofer and i selected subwoofer, mine is a kenwood head unit, it all worked hunky dory in the saxo :lol: and i took it out and wired it up EXACTLY as before but no cigar! doh

Edited by davey205

Guest baileysufc

my multimeter was abotu 5 quid from wilko does the job

sorry then mate im not much help all i can say is double check all conections and clean them escpec ground or does teh sub amp unit itself have its own fuse? or a resetable trip?

davey205
my multimeter was abotu 5 quid from wilko does the job

sorry then mate im not much help all i can say is double check all conections and clean them escpec ground or does teh sub amp unit itself have its own fuse? or a resetable trip?

ill get back to ya thanks

MerlinGTI

When I put my install in it all worked first time apart from the sub.

I was messing about with it for a good 2 hours (multimeters, checking everything was plugged in etc...) When I gave up and read my headunit manual from the warmth of my front room.

Turned out I needed to hold the eject button on my head unit for 3 seconds to turn the sub output on! Worth checking dude :lol: