• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
buster205

288mm Between Bolt Centres ?

buster205

hi all

why does haynes manual state distance of 288mm between centres when refitting rear shocks ?

Ste

stutto

It says to tighten the self locking nuts when the distance is 288mm between bolt centres, I guess along the same lines as tightening wishbone inner bolts when the car is on its wheels.

welshpug

its to prevent any preload on the damper's busher.

bouver

Rear shocks are not that critical.

welshpug
Rear shocks are not that critical.

oh yes they are :ph34r:

buster205
oh yes they are :ph34r:

you've lost me ?

C_W

Surely that figure depends on the rideheight? Best bet it just to tighten them finally when the car is on the ground.

buster205
Surely that figure depends on the rideheight? Best bet it just to tighten them finally when the car is on the ground.

that's exactly what i was thinking, mine as -30mm springs on front and skip brown set rear end to match when i had my rear beam refurbed, so i guess the 288mm figure would be no use

cheers

Ste

stutto

I agree, this is exactly what I did. Must admit that I did it before replacing the spare wheel though because it makes access easier to the upper bolts, so not quite all weight on wheels. Thinking about it, I should have put it in the boot.

Many old threads exist where people find that the Haynes dummy shock lengths don't give the expected ride height anyway.

buster205

just fitted new rear shocks, did it with car reversed onto two chocks and kept weight on throughout, i checked distance between centres before tightening it was 288mm and my car is lowered 30mm ?

Ste