• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
omega

Rear Beam Removal

omega

what do i need to remove to take of the beam?so far i ve got

handbrake cable

flexi hoses

shock bottom bolts

there must be more bolts so what am i missing?

Edited by omega

Tom Fenton

You don't have to touch the damper bolts. With handbrake cables off and brake pipes off, you need to disconnect the strap from the centre of the beam tube to the seatbelt mounts. Then working inside the car there are two nuts to undo each side that are under the back edge of the rear seat, and then one each side nearer the back of the boot under a plastic cap.

aCe

There is a link on the 205gtidrivers homepage regarding swapping the rear beam, all instructions and pictures there!

Pob
There is a link on the 205gtidrivers homepage regarding swapping the rear beam, all instructions and pictures there!

Just wondering, what is the strap from the centre of the beam tube for?

Thanks,

Dan

omega

thanks ace did a search as i was sure id seen it somewhere and nothing came up didnt think to look on the home page

stutto

Best guess is some kind of a safety feature although from what others on here have said (curiously) 309's never had them.

I ground mine off when I fitted a refurb beam, I could not have got the old beam off without doing so.

mainline

Thanks,

Dan

Its there to annoy you and to test your angle grinding skills due to its proximity to the fuel tank.

Honestly, nobody seems to know.... I am now running without one since I swapped my beam.

The 205 gti drivers guide has everything you need to know really. Once the ancilliaires are off, it is an easy ish job, apart from it being heavy.

One thing not to forget is to re-tighten the suspension mount bolts after a few days of driving. Once the car has 'settled' they can become quite loose.

All the torque settings for the bolts are in your haynes manual.

pug_ham

I think the strap is a safety measure for the GTI to stop the plastic fuel tank dropping onto a hot exhaust in the event of a crash or when the car is used for rallying should the two M8 studs snap due to ground contact on a stage.

It definately has nothing to do with the seatbelt mounts suggested in Haynes though.

Graham.

omega

well the beam came of on saturday as per the guide on the homepage [thanks ace] no proplems,now just got to rebuild it done a search but cant find a rebuild guide any tips hints are welcome