• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dicky20014

Helicoiling Rear Hub

dicky20014

Hi, The person that had the car before me has managed to strip the threads in the hub where the wheel bolts go in (overtightening with an airgun most likely!) they do tighten up, but not fully. Would it be acceptable to get a garage to helicoil the hub?

cheers

Rich

Tom Fenton

Yes you could get it helicoiled, but first check the wheel bolt itself- in my experience it is the threads pulled on the wheel bolt before the hub itself, so you may be lucky and just be able to change the bolt.

dicky20014
Yes you could get it helicoiled, but first check the wheel bolt itself- in my experience it is the threads pulled on the wheel bolt before the hub itself, so you may be lucky and just be able to change the bolt.

I thort that at first so tried all the other wheel bolts in the hub but still didnt tighten up properly. I think it could have stripped because there is a spacer behind the wheel, this will stop the bolt going as far into the hub as it usually does. The wheels have beeen refurbed so my guess is that they have been machined down and so the spacer brings the wheel back out to the standard width? I may be talking nonsense though....... :ph34r:

Jrod

Spacer is most likely there as beam is knackered and the camber causes the wheel to rub on inner arch.

Spacer with normal length wheel bolts is a big no no, imagine if they strip when driving?

Edited by Jrod

dicky20014

oh no, I hope not! B) im already having to spend alot on it this month getting another gearbox, clutch and flywheel on. How can you tell if the rear beam is nackered? should I take the spacers out and see if the wheels spin / it drives ok without them?

Jrod

Look from the back of the car, if the wheels look like / \ (or even just one of them)

bouver

Is it a 1.6 gti? I have some spare good hubs in my garage if you need one. Just pay the postage!

dicky20014

Ok I will check tomorrow, bit dark now! Bouver, thankyou for your kind offer but its a 1.9

dicky20014

The wheels dont look like they are angled in from the back, maybe someone has put them in to try and get a wider stance similar to a 309 rear beam? should I take them out and try it without?

cheers

Rich

bouver

Actually i maight have one of them to. Half the bearing is missing but you could use your half.

dicky20014

I dont really want to start taking the hub off if I can help it. How about doing a stud conversion on that one wheel? and locktighting the studs in? Does anyone on here make / know / have any of these? had a look on ebay but they dont look to good tbh

cheers

Rich

Tom Fenton

The stud conversion still relies on the hub threads being in good condition. Personally I'd helicoil it and be done but up to you.

dicky20014

I was thinking that if I did a stud conversion it would pick up the better threads at the back of the hub and combined with the loctite would make a solid base. Having second thoughts about the helicoiling mainly because of the number of times wheels have to come off, I think after a few times, the coil will start unwinding back out / become damaged as an engineer at work pointed out to me

Rippthrough
I was thinking that if I did a stud conversion it would pick up the better threads at the back of the hub and combined with the loctite would make a solid base. Having second thoughts about the helicoiling mainly because of the number of times wheels have to come off, I think after a few times, the coil will start unwinding back out / become damaged as an engineer at work pointed out to me

Better tell that to the aerospace industry then.