• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stimpysaurus

Blowing Noise?

stimpysaurus

i mentioned a noise in my oil leak thread but i think i was wrong about describing it as a whine.

Listening to it now It sounds like:

1. blowing over the top of a glass bottle (u know when ur trying to make a tune and failing badly)

or

2.the noise a discman makes when u open the lid and a cd is still playing

LOL im sorry that sounds stupid but i cant figure it out!

it happens when the car is idling and gets louder as the revs increase. gets quiter when the clutch is pressed in.

when im driving and press the clutch in the noise seems to go away (or gets really quiet)

from my description in the other thread m r 205 said maybe something to do with my gearbox.

anyone else think this or does my knew explanation just make it so much easier to figure out?

:D

Flix

If it dissapears when you press the clutch, I'd say it was the release bearing.

Tom Fenton

Normally the release brg gets noisier when loaded up. From the description my guess would be the input shaft bearing.

stimpysaurus
If it dissapears when you press the clutch, I'd say it was the release bearing.

is that something that is attached to the clutch or inside it or something? sorry i don't really understand the workings and connections of it.

Its got a new clutch, only just fitted in december.

large

Could it be the sound of the air going into the engine.

stimpysaurus
Could it be the sound of the air going into the engine.

i think it sounds like it could be air either going in or escaping somewhere. all i know is its never made this noise before and now it does all the time, nobody else i've let in the car to listen can hear it but I've driven the car everyday for a year and theres definitly something 'different' about it, plus the coincidental oil leak starting at the same time.

I was going to take it to a garage to get the oil leak fixed but I'm worried about taking the car and saying "theres a strange noise find it and fix it" and then beign charged loads for trying to diagnose it - or worse getting completely scammed and charged for something i dont need.

chris-stdt

An oil leak and a funny noise ? if you think thats bad you should come and see my gti :rolleyes:

stimpysaurus
An oil leak and a funny noise ? if you think thats bad you should come and see my gti :rolleyes:

Owr, lol i guess i should count myself lucky!

The drive home tonight was just awful!

In fear of sounding like a girl racer, it isnt fast enough or loud enough! :blush:

in comparison to usual it seems to be lacking power and unless im going deaf the exhaust seems quieter.

Could it be something to do with my exhaust? I can't think how the clutch would affect the exhaust though :)

pugdamo

As already said if it disapears when the clutch is pressed then it sounds like the input shaft bearing,when the car is in neutral and the clutch is up the shafts in the gearbox are spinning,which may be producing the bearing noise,when you push the clutch down the shafts stop and the bearings go quiet. Id just drive on,they go on for ever like it :rolleyes:

cir287

sounds gearbox related alright, I presume you have lifted the bonnet and checked the hoses that there is nothing disconnected, breather or vacuum hose, although if the engine is running nicely its unlikely to be hose related, do check the air intake hoses upstream of the airflow meter, mind you your symtoms dont sound like induction noise.

just to be sure its nothing to do with the exhaust, put your hand over the end while its running and listen for leaks, if there is a problem with the exhaust this should make it sound louder.

I didnt see your oil leak thread, is the leak from the engine or box ? if its from the box and now its making noise it would be advisable to keep it topped up with oil until it suits to pull it out to fix.

Edited by cir287

stimpysaurus
sounds gearbox related alright, I presume you have lifted the bonnet and checked the hoses that there is nothing disconnected, breather or vacuum hose, although if the engine is running nicely its unlikely to be hose related, do check the air intake hoses upstream of the airflow meter, mind you your symtoms dont sound like induction noise.

just to be sure its nothing to do with the exhaust, put your hand over the end while its running and listen for leaks, if there is a problem with the exhaust this should make it sound louder.

I didnt see your oil leak thread, is the leak from the engine or box ? if its from the box and now its making noise it would be advisable to keep it topped up with oil until it suits to pull it out to fix.

the noise does sound like what the k&n sounds like but its not coming from near there, it sounds like its coming from behind the steering wheel sort of area.

i havent done anything yet, I'll try and have a look to see if anythings disconected lol

how do i top up the gearbox?