• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JamesLumley

Gti Instrument Cluster Backlighting - Help Think I've Cut The Wron

JamesLumley

I'm in the process of stripping out a 205 for another track project, today all the lightened loom was put back in the car and everything works apart from the instrument cluster backlighting.

Anyone know which wire it is or at least which plug out of the white/green/blue/yellow connector blocks I need to look at? The Haynes book of tricks it useless in this respect as the wire it suggests is the instrument lighting does not exist anywhere in my dash loom!

Any suggestions appreciated

steve@cornwall
I'm in the process of stripping out a 205 for another track project, today all the lightened loom was put back in the car and everything works apart from the instrument cluster backlighting.

Anyone know which wire it is or at least which plug out of the white/green/blue/yellow connector blocks I need to look at? The Haynes book of tricks it useless in this respect as the wire it suggests is the instrument lighting does not exist anywhere in my dash loom!

Any suggestions appreciated

If you still have it in place, link the wires from the sidelight switch on the stalk to the dimmer (2x green wires)

humanz

Yellow connector? Is the car an XU or TU? The XU colours afaik are grey, blue, green and white.

In any case, I can't remember which connector is which colour (can check in a couple hours), but the four connectors are 7-pin, 8-pin, 9-pin or 10-pin. According to the workshop manual, in the 9-pin connector:

in GTIs pre1986 - wire 14 on pin 4

GTIs 1986 on - wire 14 again on pin 4

GTI 1988 on - wire 25 on pin 3, while pin 4 is wired as M25 (a ground)

In the first two cases, the wire is coming from the dimmer switch..Leading to the dimmer switch is 14A coming from V on the fuseboard, pin 2.

In GTIs 1988 on, the wire is coming from the dimmer switch also, but leading to the dimmer switch appears

to be wire 25, coming from K on the fuseboard, pin 7 as wire 25A.

Hope that helps. That's all according to the manual, would need to check my spare looms, but it's the dead of the night here (4 am) and I'm not going in outside to the basement. :D

post-7319-1236067561.jpg

Edited by humanz

humanz

I've checked my loom, but I'm confused about wire 14A which leaves the dimmer switch. As I'm in a hurry to leave for work, will sort it out after I get back in..

Cheers.

JamesLumley

Thanks for the info thus far guys.

This is a G-reg 1.9 XU engine

I have removed the dimmer switch but kept the single green wire which comes up from the fuse board to this switch. (will have to check tonight which number it is)

Keep the info coming and I will have another go at it all tonight.

Cheers James