• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hengti

Suspension Geometry

hengti

does anyone know what all of the measurements on a geo printout mean?

i'm ok with the basics (caster, camber, toe) and am wondering about the following:

- first one will be easy for someone - most of the readings are in the format [ 1deg 23' ] - i probably should but haven't ever really understood how this works - presumably it's degrees, but what's the '23 feet' about?!

- what's 'thrust angle'? (reading of -0deg11')

- what's 'set back'? (front = 1mm; rear = -5mm)

- what's 'track width diff'? (51mm)

- what's 'wheel base diff'? (6mm)

i've only added the actual measurements incase it helps identify what they might relate to

any help would be most appreciated!

ed. this is a Protyre printout, if that makes any odds

Edited by hengti

jplautomotive
does anyone know what all of the measurements on a geo printout mean?

i'm ok with the basics (caster, camber, toe) and am wondering about the following:

- first one will be easy for someone - most of the readings are in the format [ 1deg 23' ] - i probably should but haven't ever really understood how this works - presumably it's degrees, but what's the '23 feet' about?!

- what's 'thrust angle'? (reading of -0deg11')

- what's 'set back'? (front = 1mm; rear = -5mm)

- what's 'track width diff'? (51mm)

- what's 'wheel base diff'? (6mm)

i've only added the actual measurements incase it helps identify what they might relate to

any help would be most appreciated!

ed. this is a Protyre printout, if that makes any odds

- first one will be easy for someone - most of the readings are in the format [ 1deg 23' ] - i probably should but haven't ever really understood how this works - presumably it's degrees, but what's the '23 feet' about?! its not feet it means minuites 1 deg 23 mins

- what's 'thrust angle'? (reading of -0deg11') cant remember

- what's 'set back'? (front = 1mm; rear = -5mm) wheels set back across the axle

- what's 'track width diff'? (51mm) difference in track width front to rear

- what's 'wheel base diff'? (6mm) difference left to right wheel base in your case 1 mm plus 5 mm

jonny

hengti

grand - thanks a lot for that

i've just quickly Googled minutes - is that as in a proportion of 60? so 1deg30' = 1.5deg?

ok with track width and wheel base differences now, but still a little confused about set back - sorry to be a pain, but are you able to explain that in any more detail?

(if anyone else were able to confirm what thrust angle is, i'd be fully enlightened!)

engine killer

found this

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/generalinfo/a/aa012201a_2.htm

Set Back:

The amount by which one front wheel is further back from the front of the vehicle than the other. It is also the angle formed by a line perpendicular to the axle centerline with respect to the vehicle's centerline. If the left wheel is further back than the right, setback is negative. If the right wheel is further back than the left, setback is positive. Setback should usually be zero to less than half a degree, but some vehicles have asymmetrical suspensions by design. Setback is measured with both wheels straight ahead, and is used as a diagnostic angle along with caster to identify chassis misalignment or collision damage. The presence of setback can also cause differences in toe-out on turn angle readings side-to-side.

the internet is so amazing! :)

hengti

that's a v handy link - explains thrust angle as well

thanks chaps