• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Longfield

Ignition Leads... Which Ones Should I Use?

Longfield

I'm wanting to change the ignition leads on my Pug 205 1.9gti race car. The distributor unit has been changed from the original 1.9 wet distributor to a Pug 106 dry distributor. So my question is: do I buy the leads for a Pug 106 1.6gti or the Pug 205 Gti? Could anyone please give me some guidance?

Thanks

Longfield

welshpug

106 gti doesn't use a distributor.

Longfield

OK so what do you call the item the HT leads plug into from a 106GTi? Although it's a small pic, i'm told the black box in the upper right hand of the photo is a 'dry' distributer not a 'wet' distributor and i've been told the disctinction between the two is that the wet distributor effectively has one end that goes into the head whereas a dry distributor is all electronic. If you could help my understanding on this I'd certainly appreciate it as i'm now very confused! Equally though, any guidance on the leads I require?

Thanks

Longfield

1203181079.jpg

welshpug

106 gti doesn't have plug leads, its Coil on plug.

not sure what you mean by wet and dry?!

the engine pictured has a Coil pack from a later Distributor-less 8v XU or Distributor-less 8v TU, in which case plug leads form a 1.9 ZX volcane will suit the job.

Longfield
the engine pictured has a Coil pack from a later Distributor-less 8v XU or Distributor-less 8v TU, in which case plug leads form a 1.9 ZX volcane will suit the job.

Hi there,

could I please ask for some further guidance... either in the form of a part number [because some website list them without photos] or confirmation that the leads shown in the photo below would suit [because they are the only ones that vistually look like mine - colour excepted]

http://www.performanceleads.co.uk/showdetails.asp?id=238

Thanks

Longfield

welshpug

they'll work but won't be ideal, ZX or 405 1.9 SRI ones as mentioned previously would be more suited as they seal the plug holes unlike the leads intended for the XU10 heads which have the plugs positioned differently and aren't susceptible to water sitting in the plug wells.

Edited by welshpug

Tom Fenton

The ones shown in the pic of your engine above are not the best ones you could use, although they will work. The best leads for that cylinder head are the ones with the large rubber boot on the spark plug end which locates into the recess on the head around the spark plug to keep out any moisture. Probably not such a concern on a race car, but then again if you have a very wet race who knows. The original 205 GTI leads have this boot on and the other ends fit to a distributor.

The item you are now hoping to use is properly called a coil pack, in order to get the correct leads to suit both the coil pack ends, and also the recesses on the head as described above, the leads you want are Citroen ZX Volcane as listed above, some 405's of around 1993 vintage also have the same correct leads.

Other leads that will work, but look like the ones you have above (e.g. incorrect boots on head end) are from a 306 XSI 8v.

Longfield

your answers make perfect sense. Thanks for your help!

Longfield

mattbenselin

I needed some of these exact leads so whilst in Halfords bought a set for a Citroen ZX Volcane. They have the correct coil end and the larger rubber boot to suit the XU9 head and were about £15. They are 7mm double silicone, not sure how much better some larger 8mm+ leads would have been but I'll see how these work out.