• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
EdCherry

How Many People Run Without A Heater

EdCherry

Ok right,

seeing as I cant buy a heated windscreen im just wondering how many people run without a heater, and how it fairs....

Cameron

I do, its ok in the summer or when its dry but don't go out in the rain or cold. Rain-X anti fog works quite well.

Ajr

Even on a track car it will annoy you. Trust me i did it on my last track car, and it really annoyed me when it wasn't hot and dry! I can now laugh at the new owner every time he drives it, we went to a photoshoot back in december with it and i was all comfy in my clio with heating on the way back, he on the other hand had ice in the inside of his windscreen, no rear heated screen, no heater in the front and no way of clearing it, plus he was freezing his arse off!

My 205 heater makes loads of noise, bearing on the fan box thingy must be rogered, but at least it works.

EdCherry

It wont bother me about the being cold or hot inside, all I want to know is the issues on steaming up really.

welshpug

I ran my 405 without a heater for a few weeks, right PITA!

even worse was when it froze on the inside as well as the outside!

would never do it again, get one sorted asap, not as if they weigh much!

Cloverleaf

I would like to loose my heater/fan assembly too but I wouldn't run completely without one. I'm thinking of just getting a fan so circulate ambient air over the screen - I would try to keep the OE vents, works OK on race cars.

EdCherry

Thing is im not having any dash, and when you think about the heaterbox assembly, the heater matrix, the wiring and the extra coolant yes it does weigh enough to justify getting rid of it all.

Baz

Steams up like a b@stard, well worth leaving the weight in IMO!!

engine killer

stripped my donor car few months ago, i think the whole heater and blower setup weight no more than 10kg.

Cameron

It does, at least 10kg! I wouldn't worry too much about it, it really isn't that much of a problem. I drove to the Nurburgring and back without a heater and it didn't steam up once, it just depends when you drive it. As I said, it only causes problems if its wet. :)

johno_78

In a light drizzle or even when it's really cold and you're breathing on the screen, it will mist up, and you can't reach it to wipe when you're wearing harnesses :) . The heated screen has stopped all that, so i'd keep the heater until you get one.

AdamP

Once the car's up to temperature the screen doesn't mist up anyway! I've got a 12V heater to plug in to de-mist the screen and warm the car up a bit. If you want to just 'hop in and drive' i wouldn't recommend it tbh.

kate205gti

will never not have a heater :) just save the weight elsewhere (or eat less pies :P)

Nathan

I ran all last year with a heater which may as well of been none existant as its heat output was so insignificant and you just get used to it (having decent chamois in the car is a big help though).

RainX also do an antifog solution that you just wipe on, I use there water repellant stuff and that works, but I've never tried the anti fog.....

Cameron

Depends on the cars focus then ultimately. If you're going to use it in winter or wet weather then leave it in, if you're only going to use it in decent weather then it's fine. The rain-x stuff works wonders in the wet too.

James_R

Also not easy to use the car when the sun goes down it gets cold very quick just worth keeping a fleece and some ski socks in the car (always found my ankles got cold) that said I'm going no heater again shortly with a heated screen.

James

madant_uk

Ive ripped my heater out too, but I have a heated screen to fit, for it so I only need to worry about putting a bigger jumper on hehe

Edited by madant_uk

EdCherry

Well a few things to note,

The car will not be on the road, track only.

I have a full face helmet so that visor will be down for a start (no point in having it otherwise!)

Yes it is going to rain on a track day no doubt, and therefore thats why I am worried.

Cameron

Well, I'd try driving it around in the wet with some Rain-X anti fog applied before taking the heater out and see how it copes. If you get on ok then take it out. If you do have to drive it at wet track days, the thing that will make the most difference is wearing dry clothes and shoes!

thirdtimelucky

Im planning to run my 205 with no heater but plan to put a 12v 4" fan and some ducting just to aid with the demisting onty £10-£20 parts and less than a kilo.

I ran a 106 with a blocked heater matrix (no heat at all) for the whole of november and the cold air alone keped the screen clear the only time it struggled wad as Cameron said when my clothes were wet or when it was below freezing. think you will struggle with no blower at all.

Im sure you have heard of this lot but they have some products at sensable prices that will keep your screen clear.

Car builder solutions

Paul

si-mi16

i am also thinking of taking the heater out of my 205, what is the price of a heated windscreen these days?

thirdtimelucky
i am also thinking of taking the heater out of my 205, what is the price of a heated windscreen these days?

Normaly about £200 but about £150 if you got the spair cash and follow this link

Group buy heated screens

Miles

Never ran with a heater in my old 309 or current 306 and have raced in the rain without problems, Only thing I made sure I kept dry before getting into the car top avoid steaming up, I know people who have tried those small heaters and was told not to bother as they hardly did anything

EdCherry
Never ran with a heater in my old 309 or current 306 and have raced in the rain without problems, Only thing I made sure I kept dry before getting into the car top avoid steaming up, I know people who have tried those small heaters and was told not to bother as they hardly did anything

Thats the kind of reply I was hoping for...

Still slightly worried about it though, anyone else?

hispetdog

my car never heats up but Im sure I have a heater!?