• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
porter_bmx

Battery To Boot

porter_bmx

hi all, can any give me a few pionters on relocating the battery to the boot. previos attempt resulted in it struggling to start. was a bad earth i think.

i'm looking for info on how the connnect the orignal battery lead to the new cable that will be run through the car. pictures would be great <_<

many thanks steve

platty

Big cable is a must to ensure the smallest volt drop possible.

Also ensure you clean any paint away from your earthing point in the boot, and check the condition of the earth from your inner wing, to your gearbox, as this may be the cause of your starting problems.

Stu

Heres how i did mine.

I started off with a battery box from my local caravan shop..

batbox.jpg

I opted to join the existing cable to the new with two large lugs bolted together, then heatshrunk.

iveconn.jpg

Cable routed inside the car, and up into the now redundant heater vent for the cut-off switch.

leadsforswitch.jpg

kate1.jpg

Then just got some self adhesive pads stuck to the floor, and cable tied the supply cable in situ.

batbox002.jpg

Then mounted the box, fed the cable inside thru some gromets, added a couple of new clamps and in she was!

batbox001.jpg

You can just see the earth on the old seatbelt point, paint removed firstly of course, and then electrical grease used to protect it.

Hope this helps!

AndyJ

If its pictures you want, heres how mine is done:

Up front:

Cable from the battery (hilighted green) comes up back of the engine bay by the passenger side wing, bolts to a clamp on the battery tray, then down to the starter motor terminal. Another cable (hilighted red) then comes from the starter motor terminal, via another clamp, to the main power distribution block.

2.jpg

1.jpg

In the boot:

The battery cable comes up through a grommit in the boot floor under the carpet.

I've then got a quick-release connector (i believe from a set of heavy duty jump leads) on the end of the cable, with the earth lead going to a bolt on the boot bump stop.

The other half of the cable has a 185A fuse to protect against cable shorts, and the battery terminals.

3.jpg

Ive got a couple of brackets welded to the boot floor, and some webbing that lets me strap the battery in:

4.jpg

Then an mdf box goes over it to make it look tidy:

5.jpg

As above, make sure you are using heavy duty cable, as the extra length will introduce a bigger votage drop once you start pumping a lot of current through it when starting etc. I think the stuff used here is 165A.

^^ beat me to it <_<

AdamP

Don't have time to write up, but here's a few pictures of mine. Not technically boot mounted but i wanted to keep the boot floor flat <_<

PICT00037.jpg

PICT00035.jpg

PICT0046.jpg

PICT0067.jpg

porter_bmx

cheers i did it all the way you guys have apart from i never conected the gearbox earth back up as i thought it wasnt needed anymore <_< thanks alot guys!! :D

Edited by porter_bmx

AdamP

That's how the starter motor earths <_<

porter_bmx

that would explain <_< lesson learnt cheers :D

Gibbo GTI

Roughly how many meters of cable is required to go from the boot to the original battery tray area? My 205 is in the garage away from my home at mo.

AndyJ

5m would be plenty i reckon

matty_gti

Stu, Do you know if that battery box is sealed?.