• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MikeM

Fitting A Shortshift Gearstick, How?

MikeM

Evening all, I have tried the search for this but to no avail.

Just wondering how to go about fitting a shortshift gearstick..... I have removed part of the center console to reveal 5 studs, located around the base of the gearstick which appear to be holding everything together. I removed the nuts from these studs but nothing seemed to move, what am I doing wrong here? The car is a TU engined xs if that makes any difference.

Cheers

Mike McNiven

DrSarty

Do you really want to shorten the gearstick, or shorten the travel between shifts?

The latter is usually done by increasing the length of one of the levers (not rods) in the mechanism. One way, is the lever which pivots on the subframe; this is where the longest gear-rod connects to.

There are kits to buy, which perhaps include a replacement lever which has the longer of the two arms longer still, and another way is a bolt on extension which achieves the same thing.

The longer lever/moment means less gearstick movement achieves the required motion at the gearbox, hence giving you a 'short shift'.

Edited by DrSarty

MikeM

I have already purchased a 'short shift' gearstick from a company called optimum balance, with the intention of shortening the travel between shifts. Just need some advice on how to go about fitting it! cheers

Paul_13

Mine got a bit jammed on thru dirt and grime, just gave it a tap with the persuader and it soon did the trick

AdamP

There's a rubber seal under the metal plate that will probably have fused to the metal. Some 'gentle' manipulation will help!