• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davey205

Wynns Stop Leak

davey205

Hi, I put some Wynns engine stop leak in her to get home (no oil leaks but she had been stood for 3 years ) and im wondering if it would be better to keep running it for a while with the old oil and the wynns stop leak or whether i shud just do a flush and put new oil in

Flix

I'd change the oil for sure. 3 year old oil is risking it a bit.

You could put some more stop leak in if you want, though it's never worked when I've tried it.

Ethos

Is the oil from 3 years ago? If so i'd probably just flush it and put some new oil in there...

davey205
Is the oil from 3 years ago? If so i'd probably just flush it and put some new oil in there...

ive got some castrol gtx is that gonna be good enough or will it harm engine in anyway as i have no idea what the previous owner used

richsmells

If it's an 8v for normal road use, just stick with 10W40 Semi synth and use genuine Purflux filters (from Pug). Shouldn't cost you much and if you ask nicely my parts man gives me a new crush washer.

Looking at your other oil thread, castrol GTX you have bought is mineral oil, the magnatec stuff is semi synth. To be honest, if your car has high mileage, anything's better than 3 year old oil.

Edited by richsmells

davey205
If it's an 8v for normal road use, just stick with 10W40 Semi synth and use genuine Purflux filters (from Pug). Shouldn't cost you much.

so gtx mineral oil is no good ? just trying to save myself a journey to halfrauds

Phil H

Castrol GTX will be fine.

davey205
Castrol GTX will be fine.

hopefully , i mean i'm sure its better than the crap i've got in there currently i bet it will be really black when i come to change it

richsmells

If the car is just a daily driver, regular changes are what count, rather than using expensive stuff. The 8 valve XU engines are pretty tough old things.

Tom Fenton

Stop leak is a bad idea, it attacks all the seals in the engine. Get it out ASAP and get some new oil in there.

davey205
Stop leak is a bad idea, it attacks all the seals in the engine. Get it out ASAP and get some new oil in there.

got some magnatec 10-40w in there also filled up with super 99 from tesco and whacked some wynns clean burn in the tank

Sign in to follow this