• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
swordfish210

Weird Electrical Problem

swordfish210

So heres the story. Tonight i was fixing a few niggles on my 205 Mardi Gras and i noticed that one of the sidelights wasn't working. So i pulled off the plug and one if the pins on the bulb holder had completly corroded and was stuck in the plug. So nabbed the bulb holder out of my XT ( i never use the sidelights anyway) and i cut the old plug off and fitted some new connectors, pluged it all in and hey presto....the sidelight works.

I the got back in to the car and noticed there was a unusual amount of smoke lingering in the car and i caould smell a bit of burning so i lept out and disconnected the battery. I had a good look around the woring and i couldnt see any smouldering wires but i did notice the fusebox was really hot. After a few minutes i braved reconecting it and there was no burning smell or any smoke. but there were some odd things happening.

The hazzards are on all the time as long as the ignition is on but if i push the button the fuse just blows. When the hazzards are on the sidelight display light on the dash is flashing as well as a few more lights. The wipers will not return to the seating position automaticly. The stereo is being weird as well.

So i called a mate of mine who has a spare 205 fusebox, i swiped that from him and fitted it in replace of the old one but for all the good it did i might as well have wanked on the fusebox. Anyone got any ideas what might be causing this. I really need to sort it asap as i only have tile next week to get a free retest.

platty

Sounds like you have melted some wires together somewhere up behind the dash, hence the smoke and unrelated electrical systems playing up.

Have you pulled any cables under there, or pulled the loom into the engine bay at all?

Do you have an aftermarket headunit fitted, or an alarm?

Edited by platty

swordfish210

All the wires i could see looked fine, i guess i'll have to take some of the dash apart. It's got a Sony CD headunit.

platty

Good place to start looking is behind the headunit as it may have been crimped or 'twist and taped' in, assuming you didn't fit it :lol: .

Otherwise, have a poke around up behind the glovebox/centre section of the dash. Horrible job :lol:

Edited by platty

swordfish210

No i fitted the headunit, and i did a bang up job (he says now until he finds out later that it was the problem :lol: ) Yeah i'll dismantle some of the dash later and see whats what.