• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sam jfm

Right What Am I Looking At?

sam jfm

Hi everyone, my name is Sam and I'm looking to build a track engine. i have been messing with cars for a fare few years now but mainly vauxhalls. last year i ran a 1360tu challenge car in the 205 challenge but due to the regs i never really looked into other engines or modding engines. there are a few things i would like you to help me with if you could:

1) what are the engine codes and what do they mean? ie a c20xe vauxhall engine ( redtop ) is c= emissions rating/standard 20= 2.0 liter xe= 16v i belive.

2) what are the pros and cons to using the mi16 engine in a track car is it heavy ect?

3)The same as two but for the 1.9 gti engine and the 1.6 engine?

if you could answer these for me that would be great, aswell as a few track engine ideas/modifications i could look into i don't want to spend a fortune really but i am open to most if not all ideas.

regards Sam

omega

hi and welcome if you use the search box at the top of the page you will be able to find a lot of the infomation you want

MerlinGTI

The two most popular conversions are (from heavist to lightest) GTI6, MI16

1.9 and 1.6 8v's (known as XU engines) weigh the same (give or take a couple of KG's id expect), The power difference between these two is around 15bhp (115 for XU5JA's which is the 87is onwards 1.6, 128 for the 1.9)

These are almost the same engine, just different crank, rods and pistons.

I read on here ages ago the weight difference between an 8v and a GTI6 is around 40kg (IIRC),

MI16's seem to suffer from oil starvation during track use and steps need to be taken to avoid this (sump baffels etc..)

Batfink

Theres a lot of threads on the mi16 oil starvation and a number of solutions being tried out.

pug_ham

There is a good list of most older Peugeot engine codes, cc's & power here & some finer detail of the 205 GTi 8v engines on the main 205GTIDrivers website here.

1.9 and 1.6 8v's (known as XU engines) weigh the same (give or take a couple of KG's id expect), The power difference between these two is around 15bhp (115 for XU5JA's which is the 87is onwards 1.6, 128 for the 1.9)

These are almost the same engine, just different crank, rods and pistons.

Not forgetting the different cam between the 1.6 & 1.9.

The 1.9 is either an XU9JA (128bhp) or if its got a cat XU9JAZ (122bhp).

As said though, try a search as there is a lot of information on all these engine already contained within this forum.

Graham.

MerlinGTI
Not forgetting the different cam between the 1.6 & 1.9.

I thought the XU5J'A' had the same cam as the 1.9? and it was the XU5J that had a different one?

Intresting if not, will have to buy a cam for the 1.9 im building.

pug_ham

AFAIK both 1.6 cams are different to the 1.9 cam.

I know the later B6E 1.6 GTi engine I fitted to a friends car with the 1.9 cam drove differently to when it had a 1.6 cam in & James Turnell has also mentioned a noticable difference between the two in the car.

Graham.