• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
philfingers

Painting A Wing

philfingers

Right, I fitted a new pattern wing. It was painted in that black primer stuff. I gave it a coat of primer filler then a coat of top coat (celly single coat in white POWT code). The paint ran (i'm not greta with paint- yet the floor pan and engine bay came out fine, why can't the blo***y wing!). I used a compressor and a gun.

So rub down the few small runs, thinking that's it, quick top coat and that's it. I went through the base on the fold of the wing down to the metal (just a few mm wide in a couple of places) and it's all gone to S*** t since then. The top coat reacted at this point and all sagged. So last night out came the DA took it all off, bare metal in places and then started with the primer filler again and at the same bare metal points it's sagged again. Someone had mentioned not to use etch primer over existing paint as it can react, hecne the resason for not suing etch primer. What's the best course of action.

So currently I have one wing in primer filler with a couple of large sags in it. I was thinking of DAing the high spots off, filling the voids with filler and then going for a top coat. But what's best?

I'm not after concours, it's a competition car, be nice if it was presentable tho!

Phil

Tom Fenton

When covering bare metal it is best to put on a couple of very very light dust coats, this builds up slowly and the primer adheres to the surface better. It could also be that the ambient is a bit cold so the solvent in the thinners is taking longer to evaporate, thus giving runs.

philfingers

it's only run on the places where it had gone down to the metal. The rest is fine. I did light coats. First I warmed the wing with a heat gun and use dit after to heat the paint a little to increase curing. Didn't have any adverse effects on the rest, just these few areas... .. .

toddydal

if i was you if you have enough paint and primer left i would just start again,sand it all off with a da,,,,,,very light coat of etch primer,with etch primer the full wing does not have to be covered as long as its got a light coat over the bare metal .then give it 2 or 3 coats of primer until the wings covered then when primers dry rub it down with 800 paper,,,when you thin your colour down thinn it down 50/50 with thinner if its cellulose and just put nice even coats on so its nice and wet put 3 coats on leaving it 10 mins between each coat,,,,,,,,,,,is the wing on the car or off the car if its off the car lie the wing flat so you have less chance of getting runs,,,,,,,and make sure the paints not like piss because it wont cover very well and it will run

steve@cornwall

Mate of mine used to heat his paint in a pot of water on the stove and use less thinners - may help

omega

was always told to make sure that the "black" coat on new panels was treated before painting

toddydal

if the white paint wont cover a rub through it must be piss thin im sure cellulose used to be 50/50 but you can make it a bit thicker just dont add as much thinner,if you redo the wing when your rubbing the primer down try not to rub through it and use a white primer so it the paint covers a bit easier,,,,,,,yeh heat does help to thin things down at the place where i work we leave the clearcoat and hardener on radiators and when we come to use it its alot better to use, it goes on lovely

philfingers

thanks guys for your replies. I rubbed it down last night, mostly it's still covered, just one spot where I went through to the metal so I brushed on a good few coats of etch primer (was late and didn't want to fire up the compressor). Will rub that down again tomorrow and try again. Wing is one the car. I usually stand aerosols in hot water prior to using them and that makes a big difference. Will try and post some pics once it's done,

Phil