• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pugilist

Superchips Ecu

Guest Pugilist

Hi all

Reading through some of the previous posts relating to these it seems like the jury is out on them. However, I have a second hand one which I hope will help to make my car (1.9 8v) more driveable at low speeds.

Does anyone have any advice on fitting it? Is there anything I should watch out for when disconnecting the standard ECU/connecting the new one?

Thanks for any help!

:(

Baz

I wouldn't bother, all they do is stop the throttle closed fuel cut off, therefore continue pumping fuel in... over-rated IMO!

madspikes

Just dont bother, they are on a couple of variable resistors anyway. I had one, didnt notice the difference between that and the standard ECU. The better the car is setup the less you notice the difference.

Mad.

Guest Pugilist
Just dont bother, they are on a couple of variable resistors anyway. I had one, didnt notice the difference between that and the standard ECU. The better the car is setup the less you notice the difference.

Mad.

Okay, thanks both, maybe I will rethink this. Having got the thing I'm still tempted to give it a try. Then again I may just get an Mi16 and have done with it!

:rolleyes:

Cheers

madspikes

Anyway back to your orignal question..... Nope just disconnect the old ecu and connect the new one. I ran mine for a while with the OE still bolted in, and the Superchips one pluged in and floating.

If you've got already give it a bash, but dont expect any difference.

mad

Rupertfinch

As madspikes said...very simple to install. I fitted one of these a few months ago, but as the car isn't MOT'd i haven't given it a good thrash on the road yet. I initially thought I could feel the difference on a round the block blast, but the more 'laps' I did the less impressed I became.

I bought mine used with a receipt, but I'm not sure as to how genuine it really is. I think I was done.

I blame the 'Sporting 205's' book, it seems to advocate them!

Mark

petert

I once bought a Superchip for an Mi16 back in 1994. They were very surprised when I returned it and asked for my money back.

Tesstuff

I had a superchip fitted to a normally aspirated BMW by BBR/Morego and he even asked me how i wanted my power/torque to be positioned in the rev range, so it seemed like it would make a difference.

£295 later i drove out and it didnt feel any different apart from it did better mpg, so i just saw that as a positive and lived with it.

I dont think chips on N/A cars are worth it.But on turbo cars, worth every penny.

Guest Pugilist

Thanks to you all for the replies. Sounds like these things are a waste of time. Fortunately I only paid a few quid for it on Ebay. My real issue is that the car's great but it's crying out for more power. Common sense tells me to tweak the existing lump with various mods as a kind of long term project which keeps a semblance of originality (eg stage 3 head etc) . But then again I may end up spending more for less bhp than if I go straight to 16v. Decisions, decisions.

hexhamstu
Thanks to you all for the replies. Sounds like these things are a waste of time. Fortunately I only paid a few quid for it on Ebay. My real issue is that the car's great but it's crying out for more power. Common sense tells me to tweak the existing lump with various mods as a kind of long term project which keeps a semblance of originality (eg stage 3 head etc) . But then again I may end up spending more for less bhp than if I go straight to 16v. Decisions, decisions.

im firmly in the 16v camp if you want more power. you could spend 1000s getting 160bhp out of an 8v or you could spend £1k doing a gti-6 conversion (if you do it yourself)....

Guest Pugilist
im firmly in the 16v camp if you want more power. you could spend 1000s getting 160bhp out of an 8v or you could spend £1k doing a gti-6 conversion (if you do it yourself)....

Hard to argue with that sentiment! I had been watching a stage three (8v) head on ebay but then read the Pumasport (?) webpage that said a lot of so-called gas flowed heads and high-lift cams offer no bhp gains! Hence, have now acquired a 1905cc Mi16 engine and a GTi-6 box. Oh yes :)