• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mailman

309 Refurbished Beam - Different Caliper Mounts Fitted?

Guest Mailman

Hey guys,

I've trawled Haynes, here and Google for this and I'm still stumped. If anyone can offer a bit of an eye-opener I'd be much obliged.

I sent my 309 GTi rear beam off to be refurbished quite a few months ago. It was all painted and lovely, so I took it to my local car garage who pressed some new bearings on.

Got the axle on the car last weekend, shocks on, new mounts etc etc. Went to put the disc brake calipers on (Bendix) aaaand the bolts are physically too big. Not too long, but diameter.

I've spoken with the refurbisher who have 'assured' me that if the job is a refurbishment then all the parts on the beam would have been there when I sent it to them. There aren't any parts from another model etc. Wondering whether this info is correct...

I can still see the threads through the new paint (a little had worked it's way into the hole - no biggie), and it's about 1.5mm smaller.

It's an ABS model. Did the non-ABS cars have Girling rears, which might use a different width bolt?

Really don't want to fork out for new bearings if possible...

Cheers for any ideas. Pete (getting close to the edge about now...)

welshpug

they all used the same bolts (and calipers) so I don't know what to suggest bar running a tap through the threads.

never heard of a 309 with ABS, but if its a system like the 205 used it was front axle only.

stutto

I was convinced that I had a wrong bolt-thread pairing too, but it was just that my threads were all rusted up. My beam had been sat in the garden under a cover for about a year before I got around to the refurb. At the time I just used a lot of penetrant oil and many times tightening and then backing off.

In your case it may well be paint.

Only now do my calipers sit properly because I ran a tap through at the weekend. It is awkward to do because the handle would hit the trailing arm, I used a small adjustable spanner instead.

Guest Mailman

Cheers for the speedy reply guys.

I've actually now worn off the paint around the edge of the hole, and it's clear a bolt is not going in that hole...

Interesting stuff Welshpug. Were the mounting plates/distance between the mount holes the same between Bendix and Girling brakes? Can't take off my front wheels to look at the Girling brakes 'cos the back of the car is up on axle stands and I've lent my jacks out.

I've got mates with taps, so I think I probably will run one through.

Thanks again.

stutto

M12 x 1.5, check the bolt pitch against the tap before starting!

Maybe get a vernier on your bolts before even doing that?

Guest Mailman

Already tried a vernier, though it's an old one my dad has. It was reading well under 12mm even on the bolts! I'll bring a digital one home from work.

MMmm numbers to work on...

TBH I'd hoped you guys would reply - noticed you both in the threads that appeared in the search - all about calipers and rear beams!

welshpug

there were never any Girling rear calipers on these so I wouldnt know about the mounting hole spacing or drilling, the calipers used on the 106 205 309 306 zx xsara saxo rear beam assemblies are always Bendix.

Guest Mailman

Eeeexcellent. That's something else I can cross of my list then.

Looking more and more like I'm just a blithering idiot. I can cope with that as long as I can get these brakes on :(

Guest Mailman

Hi guys....

Just a quick thankyou- spent 2 hours cleaning threads this afternoon with a mate and finally bolts went in. Got it off axle stands and even started the engine. First time in a year, and it started on the second try with ease.

Bloomin' chuffed. Off for another cup of tea.

Thanks again.

Pete