• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SmokyDiesel

205 Diesel Turbo Non Starter

SmokyDiesel

I don't think my car liked being hit up the backside by that Focus - she's been moody ever since! :)

Running late this morning and jumped in, ignition on, no glow plug relay lamp. Odd, maybe I missed it? Turn over on the starter but won't fire - aagh!

Tried a few times, same thing - no relay light at all, but spins over. Didn't have time to try anything so I had to leave her and take the other car.

I have a feeling it might be earth related since that seems to be my car's favourite trick.

Oh, if it's related, both radiator fans have taken to coming on with the ignition so I pulled the fuses until I get time to sort that too!

Steve

jimistdt

Bugger, It may be an earth problem, it could also be the relay for the heater pugs, they're in a box near the battery, or maybe a connection has been dislodged.

If you take a 12V bulb and a couple of lengths of wire, you can bridge the heater plug to the -(ive) on the battery and they should light up with the ingnition on.

Good luck mate, I'll keep an eye on this.

welshpug

I doubt the fans are a related issue at all, if its a Diesel with a twinfan setup it may well be a stuck relay.

Can you hear the glowplug relay ckicking as you turn the ignition on? check that you have 12v at the glowplugs when you turn the ignition on.

if you don't, check that you have 12v to the relay.

pug_ham

If you think its the glow plug relay you can bypass it (as long as there is 12v at the stop solenoid) by running a jump lead from the battery positive to a glow plug.

One of my previous 205 diesels used to very occasionally fail to light the dash light so I used to use the above method to make sure it fired, worked everytime & the light used to come back next time I started it.

It should start eventually without the glow plugs but it will take a fair bit of cranking to get the cylinder temp up & be smokey for a few minutes afterwards.

A dead glow plug relay could also mean the stop solenoid isn't getting power so its still down when you crank it.

Graham.

SmokyDiesel

Thanks guys, I'll have a look tonight when I get home. <_<

Steve

SmokyDiesel

Flipping typical - got home last night and tried it - on came the light and she started no problem.

Just in case I took off the battery & went round removing all the relays and connections to check they were dry & give them a quick squirt of WD40.

Also tightened the power steering pump belt whilst I was there so some good came of it all! :D

Thanks again guys - and I thought it was only 1960s British sports cars that had dodgy electrics!

Steve

Alteran

I have a DTurbo 205 and had exactly the same problem as you're having. Intermittanly it would start no problems with the glow light working as normal, other times the glow light didn't illuminate and there was no click from the relay. I removed the Glow Relay which is located under the battery bolted to the body and opened it up. Water had worked it's way in and had corroded a small portion of the circuit board, mainly one soldered joint. I 'simply' repaired it by re-soldering the joint. Try looking in that area first as your description sounds incredibly similar to my fault.

Hope this helps mate and good luck

Liam.

SmokyDiesel
I have a DTurbo 205 and had exactly the same problem as you're having. Intermittanly it would start no problems with the glow light working as normal, other times the glow light didn't illuminate and there was no click from the relay. I removed the Glow Relay which is located under the battery bolted to the body and opened it up. Water had worked it's way in and had corroded a small portion of the circuit board, mainly one soldered joint. I 'simply' repaired it by re-soldering the joint. Try looking in that area first as your description sounds incredibly similar to my fault.

Hope this helps mate and good luck

Liam.

Liam,

Had the glow plug relay off this weekend to clean up the contacts and give them a dab of copper grease.

Couldn't see how to open the thing up though - any tips? Tried the small screwdriver down the side trick but the outer casing plastic made ominous cracking noises so I stopped! :blush:

Steve

Guest ebrett

You just prise the plastic taps out with the screwdriver and pull. Done this with mine, but sadly the whole PCB was rusty.

This link maybe of use to you. I used this one on my 205. Cheapest brand-new one I could find.

Glow Plug Relay

SmokyDiesel

Cheers - Might have to have another look at it - couldn't see any tabs as the blue casing seemed to cover all the way down the sides.

Good link - thanks. They have a stop solenoid for £4.99 too - crikey!

Steve

Sign in to follow this