• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
burr_2000

Rallye Gearbox

burr_2000

Quick one for ya guys, i read about this before but cant find it, when fitting the 106 rallye gearboxes to a 205 xs do you have to change or alter driveshafts or is it a straight swap?

cheers, neil

drmo
Quick one for ya guys, i read about this before but cant find it, when fitting the 106 rallye gearboxes to a 205 xs do you have to change or alter driveshafts or is it a straight swap?

cheers, neil

straight swap :)

Jrod

Not a straight swap from the research i did.

The 106 uses a thicker diff pin so you need to use the inner from a 106 drivershaft.

RossD

Yep, as Jrod says, the diff is slightly different in the 1.6 MA gearboxes (Stronger, uses slightly beefier components) and so the 205 shafts will be rubbing (for want of a better word) on the diff pins. Whilst this seems to work, it cant be good for the diff and must cause premature wear to it.

I'm currently running my project car with this setup and whilst its only done about 1000miles, I'm very wary over running it for any length of time like it. BE conversion is the best bet :)

burr_2000
Yep, as Jrod says, the diff is slightly different in the 1.6 MA gearboxes (Stronger, uses slightly beefier components) and so the 205 shafts will be rubbing (for want of a better word) on the diff pins. Whilst this seems to work, it cant be good for the diff and must cause premature wear to it.

I'm currently running my project car with this setup and whilst its only done about 1000miles, I'm very wary over running it for any length of time like it. BE conversion is the best bet :)

i am using a 1.3 rallye gearbox so i will need to use the inner from a 106 rallye driveshaft?

RossD

Nope, as the 1.3 box doesnt have the bigger diff - You should be ok.

Jrod

I thought the 1.3 106 did use the thicker diff pin?

RossD

Yep, looking at servicebox you could well be right.... :s

Edited by RossD

burr_2000

Do you know if dealer would have and much because i doubt i will find them in scrapyards?

drmo

Looks like there are two different diffs which were in 106 1.3 rallye gearbox. Mine was '96 and it was a straight swap to brothers 205. Before fiting the rallye gearbox my brother had a MA gearbox with 1.6 diff (thicher diff pin) and we had troubles with it. Looks like I had a thinner diff pin version. :wacko:

burr_2000

ok they sure know how to confuse things them french guys. so your saying the 1.6 rallye gearboxs had thicker diff pins for sure and 1.3 rallye gearbox had two different thicknesses of diff pins. my gearbox is deff a 1.3 gearbox with a quaiffe diff so dont wont any unecessary wear.

burr_2000

Does it have to be a 106 rallye driveshaft or could i use another type of 106 or saxo driveshaft etc thats jsut as thick?

burr_2000

Hey guys i have been looking on ebay and noticed some driveshafts saying it will fir 106 rallye and saxo VTR so does this mean vtr shafts fit rallye gearboxs?