• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dicky20014

Noisy Rear Brakes

dicky20014

I have just changed the pads on the rear (1.9 8v gti) as they were getting a bit low and could here them on the last dregs of the pads. New set on, no problem. Go for test drive and you can hear the pads rubbing on the discs and even more so when you brake (although brakes work fine). Is this normal and they just need bedding in? im sure it isnt usually this loud when you change pads. or do i possibly need new discs? they didnt look that bad to me.... any help appreciated,

cheers

Rich

snooks

Double check you've put the pads in the right way round.

dicky20014

have just checked again and they deffinately are and the pad retaining bar is in, the pads seated correctly and anti rattle springs in place

Edited by dicky20014

M_R_205

How many clicks does the hand brake have? id say have no less than 5

Did you wind the pistons in when you fittd the new pads? (i asume you would have as i dont think they would fit otherwise)

What sort of condition are the discs in? if theres a lip round the edge this could be the noise your hearing.

occasionaly mine rub when the car has been parked for a few days with the hand brake on, i tend to leave the hand brake off and just pop it into first, my be somthing to consider?

Amd fimaly, new discs are only around £10-£15 each from the motor discount, could be worth just sticking some new ones on any way??

Hope this helps

Paul.

dicky20014

it clicks up 8 times, think I read somewhere its meant to be between 7 and 9 so seems about right.

Yes wound the pistons in and they felt free, had no problems turning them, the discs do have a tiny bit of rippling on them / a slight ridge so I will get some new ones on monday when ek brakes open again and hopefully that will solve it!

I presume its ok to drive it about (lightly) until then?

stimpysaurus
i tend to leave the hand brake off and just pop it into first, my be somthing to consider?

I'll have to try that as mines been making a scraping noise ever since i got it last april!

I tend to ignore it - what u dont know cant harm you and all that....except thats probably not the case with any real problems :o

it hasnt hurt me so far

dicky20014

just an update on this, changed the discs and it seems to have settled down, can hear it a little bit on heavy braking still but might be the fact that I dont have much interior in the back at the moment to block noises out :wacko:

welshpug

where have you fitted the retaining bar? it should be on the trailing edge of the pad :wacko:

dicky20014

Sorry im not sure what you mean by trailing edge, but it is under the bottom lug of the pads and the anti rattle springs are over the top lug, this is how they came out. I have done them a fair few times before so am fairly confident they are right, although feel free to correct me if necessary :wacko:

welshpug

that's it yeah, trailing edge of the pad, i.e the rear edge of the pad, which would be the bottom on the rear bendix caliper, and the top of a front bendix caliper, yours are fitted correctly :wacko:

dicky20014

ah right ok, cheers! they might just need bedding in a bit