• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
damo

Snapped Bolt? - Gearbox Maybe?

damo

Whilst driving today, funning the car hard in a bit of a race with a vts!! I know im a boy :ph34r:

Had a large clunk and oing and then a rattle under the car. when looking back I found a bolt, I recognise it from when I swapped my gear box to a 1.6 and added a new clutch / flywheel.

I just dont know where it goes? see http://s607.photobucket.com/albums/tt157/demon_dame/bolt/ for pics. I'm guessing its starter motor or gear box but the funny thing is the car doesn't pull as well now! like its lost the torque or something ?

also if anyone knows how to get the snapped bit out of where ever and advise on a tool, that would be handy :lol:

EdCherry

All the pictures are blurry... looks like the bolt holding the starter motor on to me, your imagination that its lost torque most likely.

damo

so do i need to worry about it? or will things be fine on the engine?

with the performance, i think it doesnt rev as fast? fly wheel and starter motor causing resistance?

Edited by damo

large

Or it may be from the gear box as I have allen bolts holding it on and it may be your gearbox moving about.

You should get under it and have a look the normal reason for a bolt to snap is if it is not tight.

as for getting it out you will have to find the other end first, if some is sticking out mole grips. If not stud extractor aka easy out.

Tom Fenton

My guess is that it is the bolt from underneath at the back that holds the engine to the gearbox. Goes from the engine side and screws into the gearbox, its the only one that goes this way. It should have a square washer under its head.

t16ryan
My guess is that it is the bolt from underneath at the back that holds the engine to the gearbox. Goes from the engine side and screws into the gearbox, its the only one that goes this way. It should have a square washer under its head.

Sounds like its the one as mentioned, is the gearbox come away from the engine? if so you probaly fitted it without the dowels?

2-Pugs

Looking at those pictures I'd have said it was over tightened if anything, which has overstressed it, stretched it, and ultimately has caused it to snap :o

Edited by 2-Pugs

jplautomotive

not about the bolt

but i see you from bstoke 2 PUGS ?

jonny

steve@cornwall

I bet at least one of the top gearbox bolts are loose - the awkward one under the dizzy is a favourite.

cherry_red

Is it important to replace gearbox bolts?

Mine look really old (20 years) and the allen bolts are fairly rounded.

Where do you get them from and a rough price?

Edited by cherry_red

Sign in to follow this