• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AdamP

Engine Advice

AdamP

I've found a reasonable mileage 106 XSi / AX GTi engine for small money.

My idea is to put the XSi pistons, head and MPi on the TU3S block, making essentially an ali block XSi engine producing 100hp hopefully.

Is it as simple as I've made it sound?

In order to use the pistons i'll need new rings and the liners honed will I not? I've heard that getting the liners right after removal can be a biatch, any pointers?

Cheers, Adam.

swordfish210

I've never seen the M internals so i can't comment and wheter they'd fit. Check the manual to see if it gives any piston dimensions. Refitting the liners isnt that bad really, make sure the seats in the block are spotlessly clean and the same for the liners, then fit new seals and you should be fine. Oh and a smear of Wellseal never hurts either

AdamP

Cheers Mr Swordfish.

Its a TU3 FJ btw :ph34r:

Edited by AdamP

burr_2000

adam i have just built that engine so if your needing any advice (even got photos) just pm me. The only thing i did not do was run the injection setup because my rallye did not come with injection set up so you would need to grab the wiring etc from the xsi to or go stand alone engine management and throw on throttle bodies. i run my frankenstein engine on twin carbs.

neil

AdamP
adam i have just built that engine so if your needing any advice (even got photos) just pm me. The only thing i did not do was run the injection setup because my rallye did not come with injection set up so you would need to grab the wiring etc from the xsi to or go stand alone engine management and throw on throttle bodies. i run my frankenstein engine on twin carbs.

neil

I'm tempted to use my Mikunis on it with a custom manifold and find a nice cam just to spice it up a little. What sort of power is yours making?

burr_2000
I'm tempted to use my Mikunis on it with a custom manifold and find a nice cam just to spice it up a little. What sort of power is yours making?

i have not had it on rolling road yet because i have just built engine so it will need run in. i am using it for hill climbs so the head has had a little bit of headwork (these heads are already very good so dont go ott)and chose a catcam 4900645 courtesy of QEP and got loads of advice from a guy on this forum called gary muir. he has a tool that cuts a little of pistons to save valve striking (its basically a sharpened inlet valve).

AdamP
i have not had it on rolling road yet because i have just built engine so it will need run in. i am using it for hill climbs so the head has had a little bit of headwork (these heads are already very good so dont go ott)and chose a catcam 4900645 courtesy of QEP and got loads of advice from a guy on this forum called gary muir. he has a tool that cuts a little of pistons to save valve striking (its basically a sharpened inlet valve).

I also use mine for hillclimbing :) Wasn't planning on any headwork other than a small skim. Is that quite a high lift cam to necessitate valve cutouts in the pistons?

Did you use the TU3S rods? Are they the same?

Lots of questions!

Edited by AdamP

burr_2000

ok, the crank and rods are the same. you dont need to change your liners if they look good just clamp them so they dont move. i did it just incase cause my doner pistons had slight marks from striking, this cat cam personelly is best choice. when ordering head gasket make sure its correct one because there is only 1 type and some people think its a common size. i changed all shells and bearings and check for wear. i asked a lot of folk on here who gave me good advice because i did not want to get it wrong.

Guest rmilbank

Im also looking to put an XSi head on a TU3 Alloy block, can i just clarify...

Cylinder head and pistons required from XSi engine.

Then stand alone management with throttle bodies (my preffered spec)

Will pistons definatly need cutting and does cylinder head req skimming? (will be using uprated camshaft -probably catcam)

I will be using mine for stage rallying.

Also what type of power would this be puuting out (approx)?

Edited by rmilbank

burr_2000

To be honest i am not sure how reliable the engine is gonna be on the long run, its either gonna be a hit or a miss, because the xsi was a iron block it could take a hammering but this hybrid alloy engine that has been interchanged and tampered with, who knows just give it a bash. You are in theory creating a alloy xsi engine so with just pistons and head, the compression ratio is the same as book figure of standard 106 xsi. with this cat cam i prefer to be safe than sorry but it would run fine without the cuts outs (with stage rallying i would maybe consider it). its impossibe to say what power your gonna get from it but it should not be less than the 100 bhp.

jonnygoodhand
To be honest i am not sure how reliable the engine is gonna be on the long run, its either gonna be a hit or a miss, because the xsi was a iron block it could take a hammering but this hybrid alloy engine that has been interchanged and tampered with, who knows just give it a bash. You are in theory creating a alloy xsi engine so with just pistons and head, the compression ratio is the same as book figure of standard 106 xsi. with this cat cam i prefer to be safe than sorry but it would run fine without the cuts outs (with stage rallying i would maybe consider it). its impossibe to say what power your gonna get from it but it should not be less than the 100 bhp.

It might be worth having a look at this, as some of your points are covered here: http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=81795

burr_2000

i did read that thread a while back and spoke to sandy about it. if you dont have access to machine shop and dont want to spend big bucks then the budget choices were run 106 xsi engine but know its heavy lump, build alloy xsi engine and take risk or use a silver top bottom end but is not very strong.

AdamP

Okay, I think i'm settled on a spec now:

TU3S block - Liners honed, new big end shells

XSI Pistons - New rings

XSI head - New valve step seals, valves lapped into seats, possibly a small skim

40mm Mikuni carbs - Home made steel manifold.

TU3S Dizzy / ignition

Facet low pressure fuel pump

Which head gasket kit am I going to want (TU3FJ I would have thought?)? Which cam belt kit am I going to want?

burr_2000

your right about head gasket,i just used xs timing belt. You dont need a fuel pump your standard one works perfect. Do you have any pics of your home made manifold?

AdamP
your right about head gasket,i just used xs timing belt. You dont need a fuel pump your standard one works perfect. Do you have any pics of your home made manifold?

Haven't made it yet, need to get an FJ inlet manifold gasket to use as a template. Will plasma cut the face out of 6mm steel plate, get some tube and do some maths :)

Which fuel pump do you mean? The one off the TU3S head? I didn't think the cam had a lobe for it?

Cheers for the help!

Edited by AdamP

AdamP

My TU3S and TU3FJ engine are now sat side by side in the garage.

Let the bastardisation begin!!

Oh and FJs dont have inlet manifold gaskets as they have a plastic manifold. Damn. Rethink needed!

Edited by AdamP

Rippthrough
My TU3S and TU3FJ engine are now sat side by side in the garage.

Let the bastardisation begin!!

Oh and FJs dont have inlet manifold gaskets as they have a plastic manifold. Damn. Rethink needed!

Are they the same inlet port spacing as the 1.3 106 Rallye engine, or the same as the TU3S?

I've a laser cut flange for a Rallye here, just wants tidying up on the ports after you fit it to the head and make the rest of the manifold.

Edited by Rippthrough

AdamP

Same as the rallye :) What do you want for it?

Rippthrough

£14 including postage and it's yours. :)

AdamP

You have a prime-minister/post-mortem.