• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Craigb

A539's

Craigb

So it's now official (in my opinion at least ) A539's are Crap.

I did a 12 car event last night , and since all the route was on tarmac roads , i decided to run on the road tyres rather than my A035's . big mistake.

I managed to find a pot hole , no doubt casued by the recent weather , on a back lane , that took out both tyres on the neaside.

Both sidewall punctures ..... Bugger!

Rant over , can get back to some work now!

James_R

Not the tyres fault I'm sure, but pain in the *ss all the same

they're ok long as it's not raining :lol:

Craigb

Will have three up for sale soon , only done about 250 miles ea.

Alastairh

They are wank.

I had a set and didn't get much more than 5k road miles from a heavily driven 16v 205 :lol:

Tom Fenton

I tried A539's once, replaced some worn out Eagle F1's with them, I thought they were awful and will never buy them again!

Rippthrough

Had them on the MX5 and they were great, even in the wet. :lol:

They don't like high tyre pressure though - used to run 'em at 26psi all around.

Edited by Rippthrough

Baz

not bad in the dry, certainly better than alot of budget tyres, and on par with paradas IMO.

swordfish210

In my oppinion they far outclassed the T1-R's that i have on the car now (which i think are absoloute bollocks!). I used to love the old yoko's and they stood up to a good few trackdays as well.

Rippthrough: you say they dont like high pressures but when i was on track with them i would pump them up to 36 all round and i found them much better. Maybe it's just driver preference.

omega
In my oppinion they far outclassed the T1-R's that i have on the car now (which i think are absoloute bollocks!). I used to love the old yoko's and they stood up to a good few trackdays as well.

Rippthrough: you say they dont like high pressures but when i was on track with them i would pump them up to 36 all round and i found them much better. Maybe it's just driver preference.

and suspension set up makes a diffrence

DaveW

I thought they was good on my 306 but come winter time with the greasy roads they had to come off just sildes everywhere.

dazEmad

When you say absolute bollocks please highlight e.g do you mean on track where the soft compound easily overheats or road use as well as summer / winter & raining. I highly rate the t1-r for road use and have not had a better tyre yet if there is one better for road use please let me know i am currently running michelin pe2's on the front.

swordfish210

Sorry i should have been more specific. I think the T1-R tyre is equally useless in any situation. I find it rubbish in the dry, rubbish in the wet, rubbish on track and (although this can be said of allmost every road tyre) rubbish in the snow :lol:

It's not because the car has crappy suspension as it handled fine with the A539's on it and handles excellent (albeit predictably so) with my track A048's on it.

I have heard good things about the Michelin Pilot Exalito (i think thats how you spell it)

hengti

i used to love A539s on mine ( :lol: ); probably got through 3-4 pairs on the front. cheap as chips.

much more fun than the A038s i tried whilst sprinting anyway

McDude
I have heard good things about the Michelin Pilot Exalito (i think thats how you spell it)

Exalto

I like 'em! Nice and progressive, very good in all weathers except snow!

philfingers

got some on the integrale and don't rate them at all, wet or dry.

James_R

Another vote for the PE2's as a road tyre :)

Craigb

The grips even worse when they are flat <_<

dazEmad
Another vote for the PE2's as a road tyre :)

Well after coming back from cadwell i was very impressed with the michelin exalto pe2 on the front. The front tyres looked like they had been anywhere near a track where as my t1-rs on the back were scrubbed up with rubber flaking off them. It was a good combination with the rear tyres offering more stickier grip than the fronts but the fronts not going into melt down. Best tyre track combination ive had so far without going onto semi slicks.

boombang

Ran them for about 1k on a 106 Gti and spent most of the time scared s*itless at the pure unpredicatability. Thought at first it was just wearing the surface in but was very wrong! Took them off the car and few weeks later tried them on track.

Seeing as a lot run them on track and control tyre for race series, I thought they might come alive with some heat. Instead they were crap from cold, just about acceptable after about 10 laps, then went off after one more, turned blue and started falling apart.

Never used them since (although have a set ready to go on my 205 to keep it off the ground when complete.)