• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rich_p

Shorter Bump Stops?

Rich_p

Are shorter rear bumpstops available to buy or will I have to adapt the standard ones?

Rom

Ive only seen standard ones myself.

Got to be pretty low to need them shorter :lol:

boombang

Anything other than standard and you'll need them shorter unless you are going stiffer. Can't believe the number of people that lower on standard stiffness suspension then leave bumpstops.

If Peugeot designed it to hit bumpstops at that stiffness at that height and you lower 30mm, then you're going to hit the bumpstops 30mm sooner in the suspension travel...

Get a hot wire or hacksaw and cut the standard ones down.

Flix

Surely the bump stops are there to stop the shocks from bottoming and being damaged.

Rich_p

It is quite low but handles fine but I think it hits the bump stops on fast (70mph+) bends as it suddenly lets go without warning.

Do they need to be removed to cut them?

They are cone shaped iirc so should I remove material from the base part of the pointy tip?

welshpug

I'd rather either fit stiffer torsion bars or raise the back.

Rich_p
I'd rather either fit stiffer torsion bars or raise the back.

Neither is an option at the moment sadly.

Rippthrough
Anything other than standard and you'll need them shorter unless you are going stiffer. Can't believe the number of people that lower on standard stiffness suspension then leave bumpstops.

If Peugeot designed it to hit bumpstops at that stiffness at that height and you lower 30mm, then you're going to hit the bumpstops 30mm sooner in the suspension travel...

Get a hot wire or hacksaw and cut the standard ones down.

The bumpstop is there to stop the shock absorber bottoming out, shortening it by cutting it will just make the engagement far more harsh when it does hit them as you are bumping their spring rate up massively, provided you don't knock the piston off the damper first.

welshpug
Neither is an option at the moment sadly.

raising the back wont cost you a penny :(

Rich_p

It will when I can't do it myself!

Plus it sitting level at the the moment so can't really raise it.

I know it's not ideal and long term the plan is for uprated rear bars when I have the funds to replace the fronts as well. It's got a set of billy tarmac dampers waiting to go on the rear.

I know it's not ideal but its a cheap fix to allow a little more travel until I can carry out further suspension mods

Rippthrough

You'd be better off fitting longer, softer bumpstops and letting the car ride on them when it needs to.

Rich_p
You'd be better off fitting longer, softer bumpstops and letting the car ride on them when it needs to.

Could you suggest something suitable please and even a link as to where to get them from?

Thanks