• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chris 417 mi

Is This Arm Removeable ....

chris 417 mi

..with the box in situ without the remaining mechanism falling into the box ?? the ball at the end is knackered after the old linkage insert managed to seize onto it and wouldnt budge without the aid of a hack saw and lots of swearing ;) . Box is be3 and in a 405

post-7995-1235077182_thumb.jpg

post-7995-1235077277_thumb.jpg

DamirGTI

Yes , theres a pin on the corner which goes trough the shaft/arm :wacko: just hammer the pin out and pull the arm upwards - but be very careful no to drop the shaft down inside the gearbox casting as you'll need to strip the box in order to lift it up afterwards .. ;)

Damir B)

M@tt

so you've chooped the ball off the end of the gearbox lever?

Veero

It is removable but yes take care. I put my Mi in with the wrong arm on so had to do it in the car. Was a bitch to do but managed it in the end.

chris 417 mi
so you've chooped the ball off the end of the gearbox lever?

;) lol unfortunatley yes, it was well and truely siezed into the metal insert ( with mole grips attached was actually turning the ball assembly insert in the arm ).

It is removable but yes take care. I put my Mi in with the wrong arm on so had to do it in the car. Was a bitch to do but managed it in the end.
Yes , theres a pin on the corner which goes trough the shaft/arm just hammer the pin out and pull the arm upwards - but be very careful no to drop the shaft down inside the gearbox casting as you'll need to strip the box in order to lift it up afterwards ..

Damir

Right, guess id better try and make sure the remaining shaft stays in place then just incase maybe witha small pair of mole grips on the bottom of the shaft pr something?? is it fairly tightly located or will it drop in as soon as the pin is knocked from the arm ?

DamirGTI

From my experience it wont drop so easily ;) but then again it's better be safe than sorry right , anyway i wont drop while you'll be removing the arm but it might when you'll be refitting the arm back on the shaft so yes use some thin nose pliers and hold the shaft from underneath while you press the arm back on top B)

Damir B)

EDIT : oh , and don't spin the shaft clockwise/anticlockwise once you remove the arm , as (with the up/down and spinning movement combo) it'll slide off the selector rod and you'll loose reverse gear :wacko:

Edited by DamirGTI

chris 417 mi
EDIT : oh , and don't spin the shaft clockwise/anticlockwise once you remove the arm , as it'll slide off the selector rod and you'll loose reverse gear

Now thats good to know cheers ;)

dcc

If this is the 405 which i think it is, good to see your making progress here chris ;')

welshpug

can't see how that was seized, its a Nylon insert!

Veero

When I changed mine I didn't even realise it might drop into the box. Guess I got lucky :ph34r:

aCe

If it was just the joint that was knackered the you could weld a new arm on it?

welshpug

cut the ball right off and fit a new one, no need to remove the arm then :ph34r:

pug_ham
Yes , theres a pin on the corner which goes trough the shaft/arm B) just hammer the pin out and pull the arm upwards - but be very careful no to drop the shaft down inside the gearbox casting as you'll need to strip the box in order to lift it up afterwards .. :lol:

Its a double roll pin (one inside the other) but if it does fall you only need to remove the diff to relocate the selector shaft correctly as yor can get a finger throughta hole in the casing to push it back in place.

Before you take it apart put some witness marks on the shaft / arm & box so you can make sure its still in the same place when you've swapped them & if it does drop a round magnet can pull the shaft back enough to get it all back together.

Graham.

chris 417 mi

cheers for replys guys :lol:

can't see how that was seized, its a Nylon insert!

Nope this was metal housed in a rubber bush (old style link i guess )

If this is the 405 which i think it is, good to see your making progress here chris ;')

Yes mate, only have as now to do :

1) shorten exhaust and refit

2) bleed brakes and put oil in the box

3) try and sort out the 'locked ecu' which is proving to be a pain B)

post-7995-1235154207_thumb.jpg

how it looks as of tonight

Sign in to follow this