• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
EdCherry

Rebuild Bendix Calipers

EdCherry

I got 2 sets of calipers too rebuild, both bendix items from a 1.6 GTi (I also have spare calipers to strip down or use if one is fubared.)

I got the sliders out, got the slider rubber boots off (or most of them so far! will go back once they are a bit cleaner and you can tell where its left).

Trying to take the pistons out, but how?

I dont want to damage them with some mole grips or anything...

So yer, ideas, pictures or experiences please!

Ed

jplautomotive

best and only way is to use a airline , BUT DONT PUT YOUR HAND IN TO CATCH IT

bit of wood or some thing in pad gap for piston to hit

omega
I got 2 sets of calipers too rebuild, both bendix items from a 1.6 GTi (I also have spare calipers to strip down or use if one is fubared.)

I got the sliders out, got the slider rubber boots off (or most of them so far! will go back once they are a bit cleaner and you can tell where its left).

Trying to take the pistons out, but how?

I dont want to damage them with some mole grips or anything...

So yer, ideas, pictures or experiences please!

Ed

can you blow them out with a airline?

pugdamo
can you blow them out with a airline?

Thats the easiest way and doesnt damage them,but as already said,dont try and catch em,they go off with a bang :D

EdCherry

Dont have an airline typically otherwise id have tried this method already. I got my tyre inflator out and was gonna give that a whirl but it means sitting in the 206 with the ciggie lighter.

Ok all other attempts of removing them with suggestions via google have failed. Will go down my local garage in the morning and ask them to pop all the pistons out for me.

Edited by EdCherry

MerlinGTI

foot pump as demostrated to me by GTI6BOY yesterday :D one pump and its out

EdCherry

Cant say I know many foot pumps or bicycle pumps with external M7 threads :$

welshpug

no need for the pump/airline to have threads on, stick the hose over the end of the open nipple.

Edited by welshpug

EdCherry

So what stops the air coming out of where the brake hose enters? I would have thought you put the airline in where the brake hose goes with the nipple closed...

pugdamo

You do mate,if you got a piece of rubber hose handy put it over the end of the pump and hold it over the brake flexy hole with some good old fasioned force and pump away.

EdCherry

mmmm I have a cut rubber flexi I feel like I should try and make some sort of joiner LOL.

Will give this a go in a bit, otherwise I will find someone with an airline that could quickly do all my calipers.

Rippthrough

Duct tape'll seal it enough to pop the piston out.

EdCherry

Duct Tape Failed.

IPA Burning Failed.

Going to pick them up from the garage now :)

EdCherry

Got the calipers back from the garage, pistons out. Started to strip out the sliders which are s*ite and being replaced with a different set ive got. Few questions.

The piston face has a scrap or two, after the dust cap, ive cleaned it up to inspect it properly and its not all that bad, still alright to use?

The rubber boots on the sliders all crumbled in my hand and have left half of it in place, how do I get these out fully? are they glued in?

Alright to run water through the calipers to clean debry and crap I assume?

Will break out the wire wheel on the angle grinder and get this nice and clean

EdCherry

Ok right, cleaned up all the parts ready to rebuild. Opinions on the parts.

th_DSCN2063.jpg

Where do the small o rings go?

th_DSCN2064.jpg

th_DSCN2066.jpg

th_DSCN2067.jpg

They are fine I assume to reuse

th_DSCN2069.jpg

th_DSCN2068.jpg

Bit of pitting on one slider, fine to re use? if not I can strip down another caliper to use one of those.

th_DSCN2070.jpg

th_DSCN2071.jpg

Bout as clean as I could get them in a short amount of time, was concerntrating on the slider channels really as they were full of s*it! Got out as much as possible but its likely there is some left.

welshpug

for the o-rings, look at pic 7 :ph34r:

shalmaneser

where did you get the rebuild kit from? And what was the cost?

cheers,

adam.

EdCherry

BigRedd and £20.10 for 2 calipers. + £1.34 per bleed nipple.

EdCherry

Ok well, cleaned everything up pretty much, painted the calipers (not the best job but looks better than rust) and just waiting for my brake grease through the post before I can put them back together.

th_DSCN2096.jpg

th_DSCN2097.jpg

paul205mi16

did you ever complete the rebuild ed?

GeorgeXS

i've just been rebuilding my bendix calipers witht he same big redd seal kit as Ed.

Problem is i forgot to check which side of the sliders go at which side of the caliper as the two ends are different.

Any difference in putting them in the other way if i do get it wrong?

Cheers George

EdCherry

Ok right,

[===|| ||= ]

Longer end towards the hub as above, the smaller to the rear...

Edited by EdCherry

EdCherry

Ok,

I rebuilt the calipers tonight so I can get them out of the way and packup a few things to make some space. While I did it I made a little guide.

Right so heres the kit, it consists of - 2 Piston Dust Seals, 2 Piston Seals, 8 Guide Pin Boots, 8 Guide Pin Tube O Rings. You will need a Soft Face Hammer.

th_DSCN2147.jpg

First off fit the O Rings into the guide pin tubes

th_DSCN2150.jpg

Then dry fit the guide pins into the tubes, might be a bit tight so give it a little tap with the soft faced hammer.

th_DSCN2152.jpg

Once its in take it back out and start greasing them up with your rubber grease.

th_DSCN2153.jpg

Once its greased up, insert your guide pins into the tubes pushing one end flush to where the boot will sit.

Give your guide pin boots a bit of grease on the inside as the pin will be slidding against it, and insert it onto one side.

th_DSCN2163.jpg

Then push the guide in through and do the same with the other side (note the first boot will not stay in play on the caliper and will move with the pin).

Even the pin up and make sure both boots are seated both on the pin and on the caliper like so.

th_DSCN2156.jpg

EdCherry

Wipe off any excess grease from the pins and start greasing up the piston tube a bit.

Now we get the piston seal and insert it into place.

th_DSCN2165.jpg

Grease up the piston seal so the piston will slide in, use any excess on your finger on the bottom side of the piston.

th_DSCN2166.jpg

th_DSCN2167.jpg

Slowly push the piston into the hole, make sure you do it evenly.

th_DSCN2168.jpg

th_DSCN2158.jpg

Once its in fit the dust seal over the piston and onto the caliper body, it will sit like this.

th_DSCN2169.jpg

Slowly wiggle the seal onto the caliper body, it normally seats itself onto the piston so double check that its done and your calipers seals are done!

th_DSCN2159.jpg

If you've got new bleed nipples, get a 7mm spanner and put them in.

th_DSCN2161.jpg

th_DSCN2162.jpg

Job job'd and I only used 1 tube of grease!

th_DSCN2170.jpg

omega

nice job and good pics,i just had a thought can you get better/bigger bleed nipples? as most seam to shear/break