• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pacey205

Replacement Mi16 Throttle Body

pacey205

The throttle body on my car has seen better days, the linkages are basically knackered which means that I have a combination of the throttle sticking shut and jerky pickup/unstable idle etc etc.

So finding a replacement Mi16 throttle body is probably not the way to go as most are in a similar condition these days. So that basically leaves me a couple of options.

1) Fit a GTi6 inlet and throttle body which I cant really be arsed to do, or

2) Fit a VAG throttle body of some sort (or some other replacement).

The issue for me is that if fitting the VAG throttle body where one butterfly is significantly smaller than the other and opens before the larger one a couple of comments Ive read whilst searching on this seem to suggest that it makes the throttle response very non-linear, which Im not sure Ill be happy with.

Im not sure if its just the V6 TB's that have the different sized butterflys or if the other replacements (Golf Mk2 16v, any more ). So after rambling on for a bit are any of the VAG replacement TB's that are more similar to the original Mi16 TB, i.e. two butterflys of a similar size that open at roughly the same time?

Alternatively has anyone had any luck rebuilding their Mi16 TB?

Michael

Rom

I replaced mine a while back.

I looked into VAG, but wasnt 100% on it. So waited until i found a decent Mi one.

I still have my old one. Not really looked into rebuilding it. Shouldnt be too hard to replace the broken spindles though. Think a butterfly is damaged too where i 'fixed' it untili got a new one :D

Veero has gone the Gti 6 route. With mixed results i think.

timmsy19

i replaced mine with a VAG one although i brought the whole inlet mani and Tb together so didnt have to do much work on it. mine is one with one smaller butterfly than the other. makes for nice town driving to be honest

mr_exe

I've tried the VAG throttle body, and like you was not happy about the opening of the butterflies. I decided to the take the Mi16 throttle body apart to see what the score and identified the worn bushes and slightly scored throttle spindles. I showed it to a friend who took me to see his friend who says he can rebush it and match the spindles to suit.

At the moment it is still with him as I only dropped it off with him last week, so when I know a bit more, I will post again.

Veero

The GTi6 manifold and TB isn't a bad solution. Just means you will need to relocate the washer bottle and make a bracket for the TPS. My TPS pushes against the top rad hose and unfortunately pushes it so that the closed throttle switch doesn't always make contact and it doesn't idle right or start properly sometimes, other than that the throttle action is nicer than with the Mi16 TB was. To be honest, I suspect my dodgy idle is part cuased by a dodgy loom.

Yeah it's a fair amount of work and the hoses need some relocating but the TB is nice and tight, no play at all.

pacey205

Anyone else got any views/suggestions?

Michael

aCe

There were 2 at the time of your first posting on sale on Fleabay! (One was polished and the other standard but clean)

Sign in to follow this