• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hexhamstu

Battery Light Coming On

hexhamstu

ok, my girlfriend has just rang me saying "MY BATTERY LIGHTS COME ON AM I GOING TO DIE?!?!?"

she says she went over a large pot hole there was a rattle behind her and then all was fine but the battery light came on.

my guess is shes lost the alternator belt, is this a good guess?

and also how long will a 205 1.8D run for on the battery alone?

cheers

AndyJ

alternator belt or one of the connections on the back of the alternator has come off, or the jolt has cracked a brush off inside the alternator...

Ive drove my 1.8XLD from a friends house in chester to fleet (just shy of 250 miles) at night, with the alternator belt snapped. It died at the end of my road! (unfortunately at the bottom of a hill so i still had to get a tow :))

hexhamstu

p.s the engine fan stays on all the time and she has 25 miles left to go hopefully it will make it! :)

AndyJ

She'll be fine i reckon, just tell her not to flash people! (hang on a minute... :) )

hexhamstu

i told her to switch the radio off and gun it all the way there :)

S@m

Twice i have thrown my alternator belt on my Mi and for some reason the amount of miles i managed to cover afterwards varied wildly, once it was during the day and i barely made 20 miles before it cut out, and on the other occasion it was a pitch black evening, sadly i couldnt get away with just sidelights, and i made it about 40 miles home and it was still running fine, (probably wouldnt have gone much further though). Perhaps the first occasion was due to the belt flying off at about 130 whilst racing a 911 (causing me to lose power steering aswell!) and i didnt back off until id shown the error of his choice of vehicle.

Just thought id throw my two pence in.

Sam

hexhamstu
Did she make it?

she did indeed, but now it wont start. ive told her to ring the AA as im fairly sure they just charge you the price of the belt maybe plus a few quid? (shes in london or i would do it)

dcc

if she isnt a member, then i think they have a hefty call out fee. a mate of mine had his car batterydie in devon, and the RAC were called out, and i think he said he had to pay about £60 all in all.

hexhamstu
if she isnt a member, then i think they have a hefty call out fee. a mate of mine had his car batterydie in devon, and the RAC were called out, and i think he said he had to pay about £60 all in all.

she is with a member :D

AndyJ

Did you find out what was up in the end?

hexhamstu
Did you find out what was up in the end?

yeah, the altenator belt had jumped ship. the AA fitted a new one for her. all sorted.

Sign in to follow this