• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest MarchHare

Toyo 888 Tyre Choice

Guest MarchHare

New to all this and looking to get a set of tyres for track and road use. My car is a 1.9GTI and pretty standard spec albeit with Gaz adjustable shocks, and standard 15 inch wheels.

I have pretty much decided to give the Toyos a go but looking at one suppliers web site I see they do them in quite a few different "flavours".

Firstly I assume it's OK to run 195 width on standard rims?

Should I go for 50 or 55 profile?

They list both 82V and 85V spec, what's all that about?

Finally they list SG, GG and GGG compounds. I want a tyre that will survive on track but be usable on the road, which is best?

Finally finally for under £280 a set is the Toyo really my best bet, I want something that provides reasonable grip on track, doesn't overheat but is also reasonably progressive in the wet. I realise the 888 will not be a great wet tyre but I'd prefer something that doesn't let go in the rather alarming way that the AO48 Yokos do when there are a few puddles around.

Tom Fenton

Yes you can run 195's fine, but 55 profile will be too big, so go for 195/50/15 size.

82 and 85 relate to the load index- 85's are for heavier cars, I'd be happy with 82's on my 205.

Guest MI16Tom

Semi hijack - Anyone recomend a pressure for R888's?

swordfish210

Try 26psi all round as start pressure, then work from that.

The R888's are the best preformance/price tyre you can get really, loads of people on this forum have them as the track tyre of choice.

Cameron

Personally I'd go for Yoko A048, but depends what your budget is as they are slightly more expensive.