• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stufarri

Rear Silencer 93k 1.9gti

stufarri

My rear box (Bosal) has developed a small hole that I fear will quickly turn into a big hole in the next few days.

Just called my Local dealer and was quited £77 plus VAT for a genuine one, looked on GSF or EuroCarparts and they are £35 plus VAT for a Timax.

Are the non genuine ones just as quite as the genuine ones as the Bosal I have had for the last 2 years is quite boomy?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Stu

pug_ham

The GTI system is mildly boomy as standard but not enough to make it a PITA.

I've run an Arvin 205 TD back boxes on my GTI for the past few years & they are best for quality & sound imo.

I fitted a Bosal back box to my mum's 1.6 auto last year & even she noticed it was louder but hadn't noticed when it was blowing on an Arvin until I told her.:unsure:

Graham.

richsmells

I bought an Arvin one from BuyPartsBuy. (About £55 IIRC). Searching through a few posts on here, they seem to be the better OE spec replacement.

stufarri
I bought an Arvin one from BuyPartsBuy. (About £55 IIRC). Searching through a few posts on here, they seem to be the better OE spec replacement.

Yeh, I did read that, thanks.

I think Arvin/Timax are now the same company from looking on Google.

Stu

pug_ham
I think Arvin/Timax are now the same company from looking on Google.

They are & have been for a few years now but I always specifically ask for an Arvin system & tell them I'll refuse it if its any other make of the same parent company.

Even though they are owned by the same parent the exhausts still appear to be a different spec which would be explained by the difference in exhaust noise between the old holed Arvin backbox & new Bosal one on my mums auto.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this