• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stutto

Can I Drill Through Rear Caliper Mounts...

stutto

The bolts on one of my rear calipers are done up tightly, but the brake still moves about slightly on the bolts. The other hand does not and the threads were rusty when I fitted the 206 calipers.

Basically my question is this: are there any reasons why I shouldn't drill (from the wheelside) and then tap (from bolt side) so that the thread goes right the way through enabling me to tighten the brake up properly. (As it stands the upper hole seems to have a smaller diameter at the wheel end and the lower hole is closed at the wheel end).

It makes sense in my head but could it be dangerous?

welshpug

the thread does go all the way through (or at least they do on my 205!) I would think its just a build up of corrosion+brake dust.

I had this very same problem, solved by 5 minutes with a tap and some light oil and a tap/die on both the bolt and bracket.

don't forget a dab of threadlock in the clean threads.

stutto

Thanks. I'd guess that the bolts won't protrude with the caliper in place anyway?

welshpug

I'm unsure how far they go through, but no chance if they were the original bolts.

stutto
the thread does go all the way through (or at least they do on my 205!) I would think its just a build up of corrosion+brake dust.

I had this very same problem, solved by 5 minutes with a tap and some light oil and a tap/die on both the bolt and bracket.

You were right. As soon as I touched the lower hole with the drillbit, which I thought was solid at the wheel end, it just crumbled away. Ran the tap right the way through and out of the other side and now my caliper sits snugly.

I think the cause of my noise was the handbrake cable hitting the copper brake pipe where it loops around the 'shoulder' of the trailing arm, this was rattling my caliper on the bolts in addition to the noise of the handbrake cable slapping the fuel tank.

Anyone got handy hints for getting the handbrake cables to stay in their guides? Currently trying some cable ties each side of the sleeves which sit around the bit of the cable in the guides.