• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
The Arch Bishop

She Finally Runs! (briefly)

The Arch Bishop

I'll give it a look when I next get some tinkering time and I may take you up on the hose! I'll bet it's something really small like that though, just to make a mockery of my fault finding! :)

richsmells

Coil could be breaking down once it gets warm. Check for good continuity on the wire between the distributor and ignition amp, although I doubt it would run at all if this was at fault.

The immobiliser of course could also be the cause. My heater matrix started slowly leaking. The immobiliser box was located in the gap underneath above the exhaust tunnel and kept randomly cutting in causing the car to stall.

Edited by richsmells

The Arch Bishop

Well, it's not cutting out randomly, almost like clockwork to be honest!

Checked the vac pipe to the dizzy and no leaks there. I think I'll fit a new coil, a new dizzy cap and rotor arm (really not sure of the state of these or whether they'd cause the problem but worth a crack I guess).

Just clutching at straws now if I'm honest but thanks for all the suggestions! If anyone has any more, I'd be more than happy to hear them as sooner or later, one is bound to solve it! :)

richsmells

If you've changed all the ignition components for new or known good i'm sure you'll find the problem. They're really not that complex. The only other thing to try could be the ECU itself. It's not unheard of for them to do strange things.

The Arch Bishop

Sure you're right, just a pain! What's worse is that virtually nothing on the car worked when I got it, but have sorted all the other issues out apart from this one. Ah well, got a few days free next week to play with it and my old man's about. He's one of those jammy so and so's that'll come along and go, 'shouldn't this wire go on here?' and solve it... Well I hope so anyway! :lol:

The Arch Bishop

Well, today it finally ran for longer than 30 seconds! :D After adding half a tank of fuel and a new fuel filter, managed to keep the car running until it had some heat in it after which it stayed running. To say I'm chuffed would be an understatement! Still, cold starting is an issue which means a possible sticky SAD valve? If anyone can confirm that this may be the fault then I'd be grateful.

After a bit of mucking about with the mixture screw, dizzy timing and the idle screw, it did run pretty smoothly. But leaving it for twenty minutes then starting it again and it seemed to have dropped out of tune again (hunting and misfiring on the throttle) which was odd.

Still, really pleased that it works (but feeling pretty stupid that the problem was mainly stale petrol in the tank... :( ).

Think the next step is to get a pro to set it all up properly.

MerlinGTI

Dont be embarrased! I didnt know untill last week modern petrol has a lifespan of 6 weeks apparently according to a mechanic friend. He put a lit rag in a jar drained out of a car on his drive. Put the rag out.

The Arch Bishop
Dont be embarrased! I didnt know untill last week modern petrol has a lifespan of 6 weeks apparently according to a mechanic friend. He put a lit rag in a jar drained out of a car on his drive. Put the rag out.

Well, I don't feel too bad then! I thought petrol would at least last a couple of years.

Managed a short drive around the close this morning, the furthest it's been in 4 years. Still runs pretty rough but least it's a start. Can't seem to get the mixture anywhere near right meaning it's hesitating like a hydrophobic at a swimming pool and hunting a little. Going to bung some injection cleaner through it see if it clears any. Did at least get it to idle at a fairly steady 750 rpm.

The Arch Bishop

Today was a good day... After two weeks of back-firing, hesitation and running like a bag of poo, the shed now runs nicely. Unfortunately, this isn't due to any brilliant piece of fault finding by myself but still over the moon.

Full credit to taylorspug for sorting it out when I'd run out of talent. Turns out the manifold gasket was a generic one and was blocking the injectors so badly, you could see the dents where the injector tips pressed up against it! After a bit of surgery with a craft knife, we has one nicely running pug.

Once again, top work by taylorspug for finding it and also for the bravado that was tearing off down the road at full throttle with no number-plates and a 6 year-old tax disk. Was even more impressive as I later told him that I hadn't checked that the brakes actually worked... :D

taylorspug

Its got a rear plate, that was good enough for me. :P Plus i cant remember the last time I saw the feds in Hurst (christ its a national event if you see another car sometimes!) so it was ideal test drive time. Tbh i cant believe how well it runs considering how long its been laid up.

The Arch Bishop

I've seen the rozzers a couple of times, but in your favour, it was when all the local drug dealers started bumping each other off!

Yeah, she does run well and am still grinning today ;) . The missus is softening on the money for the welding too so will hopefully get it booked in with you this month when you have the time.

maturin23

You must be chuffed TAB - I'm pleased for you ;)

Well done Dan! You should be made a National 205 Treasure. You played a blinder with mine too - runs like a new car.

O/T - Dan, PM those details again for the HPC thing.

taylorspug

Thanks guys! Always nice to see my hard work get some recognition. :lol:

Ian PM will be on its way mate, i still need your address too.

The Arch Bishop

As a spooky side note, when I posted my last reply, I hit the send button and a police car drove past the house.... They're looking for you Dan! :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this