• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
The Arch Bishop

She Finally Runs! (briefly)

The Arch Bishop

Hi. After a day of sorting out butchered wiring on my 1.6 GTi, I finally thought 'sod it', lets hook it all up and see if it catches on fire! Well, she started on the button for the first time in three years and amidst a cloud of heavily fuel smelling smoke... Then died again....

So basically, she starts very easily but stops again after displaying one of the following;

1. Splutters, misfires and stalls

2. Starts, will rev but holds revs for about 10 seconds then stalls

3. Ticks over at about 1000 rpm nice and steady then stalls either by itself after 10 seconds or if you touch the throttle

Frankly, I'm stunned she starts at all (i'm celebrating with beer currently) considering the mess under the bonnet but still wondering why she runs like this?

I'm guessing its a fuelling issue but it smells very rich when running.

One thought I've had is that the two sender wires on the dizzy going to the ign amp could be the wrong way round (don't ask!). Am I right in thinking that that can affect the fuelling?

Any help would be great as fuel injection is a mystery to me...

djinuk

i had exact same symptoms, check your afm is plugged in , and more improtantly is the right way round as i installed mine the wrong way. Failing that it may also be the coil which gave me same symptoms again.

GLPoomobile

If it's not sparking due to issues with the dizzy wire you mentioned, then it stands to reason that you'll be smelling unburnt fuel. It would run very unevenly though, or possibly not run on all cylinders.

I'm going to break out the stock answer for such occasions - check the ECU temp sensor. It's the one with the blue 2 pin plug either under the dizzy or on the back of the head just around the corner and below the dizzy. If your wiring is a mess then perhaps the wiring to the sensor is broken or something. This would cause it to overfuel and give you problems starting and revving the engine.

Edited by GLPoomobile

The Arch Bishop

The AFM is plugged in (and the right way round I think!) but not sure about the coil. Problem with the car is I have only had her about six months and she's not run in that time (or for a further 2 1/2 years if the previous owner is right) so EVERY component in the car is suspect for me! :blush:

The coil looks like it's seen some mileage however. Just to check, the wiring atop the coil is something like to thick red wires to the larger connectors on one side, the others that are piggy backed (tacho and the rest I guess) fit on the smaller spades on the other side?

EdCherry

Id be tempted to say get another AFM on there as it sounds like its overfueling/flooding the engine IMO, but im not that good with troubleshooting.

The Arch Bishop

Ok, so I'll try in the following order (dictated by expense of course);

Swap the two dizzy sender connections round.

Check out the ECU temp wire (think I've seen that one about).

Test or swap out the coil.

Swap out the AFM.

Is there anyone round the Brighton, Burguess Hill, Haywards Heath area with some spares to swap out that wants to help a brother out? There may be beer... :blush:

Thanks to those who replied! Getting these things sorted without you would be a lot more difficult. What the hell did we do before Forums?!?

Edited by The Arch Bishop

dcc

Is your blue plug on the ECU temp sensor (thermostat housing block) or have you accidentally put the black plug there?

steve@cornwall
Is your blue plug on the ECU temp sensor (thermostat housing block) or have you accidentally put the black plug there?

does sound like classic ecu temp sender problems - common for the terminals to push out of trhe plug when re fitting. If this turns ourt to be the problem - change the oil asap

The Arch Bishop

I'd have to have a look to be honest as I didn't replace the engine (so I can blame the previous captain bodge if it's wrong)! I think it's in the right place though as i vaguely remember there being a blue connector in the thermostat block.

The Arch Bishop
does sound like classic ecu temp sender problems - common for the terminals to push out of trhe plug when re fitting. If this turns ourt to be the problem - change the oil asap

Oil change on the cards as soon as I can find a wrench to get the sump plug out! The one I bought from Halfrauds today looks like a medievial torture device (and doesn't bloody fit). Who fits a sump plug that you can't get a normal, everyday spanner round? Peugeot that's who!

steve@cornwall
Oil change on the cards as soon as I can find a wrench to get the sump plug out! The one I bought from Halfrauds today looks like a medievial torture device (and doesn't bloody fit). Who fits a sump plug that you can't get a normal, everyday spanner round? Peugeot that's who!

whip out the bar from between the handles on an interior door - should fit fine, put it back when youve finished :D

The Arch Bishop
whip out the bar from between the handles on an interior door - should fit fine, put it back when youve finished :D

That's genius! Got hundreds of those kicking about in the shed! Cheers! :D

The Arch Bishop

I've been out and had a look at the blue plug. It's attached to what I'm assuming is the thermostat housing which is attached via a plate to the head (or would be if the previous owner hadn't lost every damn bolt, screw and nut). Is this right? The plug itself looks pretty covered in crud and a little bit chewed up like it's been forced on in a hurry. Got to be worth further investigation!

As a side note, there's currently very little coolant in the system (in my defence, I really wasn't expecting it to start at all!), would this affect this sensor? I didn't push my luck and run the car for very long.

P.S. to steve@cornwall; I found a good stock of some ten house hold door handle bars in the shed!

The Arch Bishop

Hi all,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but the fault finding goes on!

So far, I've replaced the AFM for a known good-un (cheers to taylorspug for that one - top bloke!)

Checked the connection going into the ECU temp sensor (wiring's fine).

Checked the dizzy sender wires orientation (was right).

The issue still remains. From what I can ascertain from what you guys have said in this thread and from reading other threads, the ECU temp sensor is probably shot. I've had a look on Servicebox but can't work out which part it is on there.

Can someone give me the correct part no. or, even better, a part number from a cheaper supplier?

Is the part number from Autofives 11CP301? It's a '88 1600gti.

Cheers for any help!

The Arch Bishop

Hi,

Not to worry, half an hour of cross referencing on google brought me to the BMW section of GSF and part no. B93490 - (temp sensor two pin blue cover) which has to be right I reckon. Why do they not put the part in the Pug section as well? Grr..

EdCherry

Would have just been easier to phone GSF and get them to do the leg work LOL!

omega

hope its got some water and oil in now!!

The Arch Bishop
Would have just been easier to phone GSF and get them to do the leg work LOL!

:lol: You're deffinatly right, but I'm a stubborn devil and to be fair, whilst searching for stuff like this, you tend to find lots of other useful info. There's a lot of great tips on this forum!

hope its got some water and oil in now!!

It's got some oil in it already, but had to buy a proper square-section socket to change it. Tried using the door-handle bar trick to get the sump-plug out, but the numpty that last did an oil change must have done it up with a 3 meter torque bar. :rolleyes: It bent the steel door bar 45 degrees along its length....

Will do the water after doing the temp sensor as I don't really want to do it twice.

The Arch Bishop

Another bump on this thread! ECU temp sensor changed and the problem persists.

Can some one tell me if this problem could be linked to a split hose between AFM and manifold and if so, the best way of testing this? A visual check shows it's pretty ropey looking but I can't see an actual split. Kind of running out of things to swap over...

Cheers

The Arch Bishop

Hi,

Yet another resurrection of this thread. Has anyone got any more ideas because I'm tearing my hair out (and not just the hair on my head :mellow: ) trying to solve this?!

I have now replaced (with known good-uns) the following;

ECU temp sensor, AFM, air intake hoses (replaced with K&N 57i), fuel pressure regulator, Ignition amp (genuine bosch one).

I've checked the ECU temp sensor wiring and the SAD and am pretty sure the wiring in general is in good nick.

Still the issue remains!! Engine starts, runs for about 20-30 seconds and then just dies. After an attempt or two, the engine restarts and again dies as before. I can hear the fuel pump running so maybe the spark is dying?

Please, any suggestions would be really welcome (including pushing it off a cliff, but I don't have a trailer so would be difficult to get it to one).

Help!!

richsmells

Ignition amp grounded properly?

edit: sorry, you've replaced that! :mellow: coil?

Edited by richsmells

The Arch Bishop

I'll admit I haven't tried that. Would that cause the fault due to the coil breaking down? Just fed up with getting my hopes up, replacing another part and no improvement! It's getting pretty frustrating but I keep reminding myself that it's an old car and one day, it'll reward my patience! :mellow:

MerlinGTI

It sucks at the beginning with so many 'unknown' parts, but as you replace bit after bit like you will on any 205 all of a sudden fault finding becomes a lot easier :mellow: Hang in there!

Maybe worth getting a new (secondhand) loom? I picked one up which had never been cut/joined/spliced for £30 on egay :)

The Arch Bishop
It sucks at the beginning with so many 'unknown' parts, but as you replace bit after bit like you will on any 205 all of a sudden fault finding becomes a lot easier :mellow: Hang in there!

Maybe worth getting a new (secondhand) loom? I picked one up which had never been cut/joined/spliced for £30 on egay :)

Don't worry, I'll hang in there! Even with it not running, I think it makes a beautiful driveway ornament! See?

Pug_cleaned_up.jpg

I've tidied the rough areas of the loom but the rest has surprised me by being pretty good! The other thing I keep pondering is the immobiliser but I'm guessing that wouldn't let me start it full stop? Anyone with any experiences of dodgy immobilisers?

Edited by The Arch Bishop

grandos

Have you tested the vacuum advance pipe from the dizzy to the throttle. If I remember correctly this doesn't let you start it after a couple of goes but you never know.

Not too far from you have got some brand new vaccum hose from pug if you really need it (made to buy 10metres when I needed less then 0.5metres)

Sign in to follow this