• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Goliath

1.9 Gearbox Problem, Leaking Oil From Near The Flywheel

Goliath

Hi all, I have been in tamworth helping Dave out with his car but we came across a problem. When filling up his gearbox with gearbox oil after doing the diff seals there was a massive leak and all the oil went on the floor, so we decided to put the drain plug back in :) Then we filled it up again and there was another leak, this time it was out of the bell housing running from under the flywheel (the little flywheel cover is off as we took the sump off).

Anyone know what this could be? I can only think the seal that goes round the main gearbox shaft (the one that goes into the clutch, whats the proper name for it?)

I have advised Dave that it might be easiest to just get a new 'box if he can get one cheap.

grandos

Input shaft seal? You would need to remove the box to diagnose if the seal has gone or not. Once the box is out can't imagine the seal is expensive to replace but it might need some sort of tool to remove/install a new one.

However if it not that then no idea.

Baz

Crankshaft seal.

t16ryan
Crankshaft seal.

leaking gearbox oil ?? Are you filling it up from the filler on the side?

Baz

lol oops, i should read things properly first!! :blush:

ORB
Crankshaft seal.

lol, when I saw the topic title, i was going to shout the same thing, I also never read the full post.

Glad I saw you had put it or I would have looked a right numpty!

t16ryan
lol oops, i should read things properly first!! :blush:

i nearly done the same :)

jplautomotive

doubt it is the input seal , that is higher than the oil level

my guess is the diff has gone pop and cracked the bell housing in side

Goliath

Lol sorry guys I didnt think the title was misleading! (it does say gearbox! :blush:)

Yeh I am now thinking it might be a hole in part of the housing, but it did drive fine beofre hand if that makes any difference?!

jplautomotive

yeah most of them do , i did a golf couple weeks back drove fine , but leaked loads lol

johny105_y2k

Hi goliath, did you get to the bottom of this ?

mine is doing the same now

johny

JayCC

make sure gearbox hasnt parted from the block. Mine leake loads then i found 3 bolts loose and a 2inch gap between box and block

Sign in to follow this