• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tom Fenton

Myth Busting!

Tom Fenton

So they said 266mm 306 XSI brakes will fit under 14" wheels.....

Well "they" were wrong, I've offered them up tonight and the inner part of the wheel fouls part of the caliper bracket.

This is with SMR 1600 wheels, perhaps Speedline 1600 wheels would clear? In any case I'm never going to find out, the car will get 1900 wheels on it instead.

EdCherry

Pretty sure the Speedline's have a more curved backing there was a topic about this agessss ago. You know you wanna keep the 1600 wheels really, keeping it looking like the 1600 it is!

Would it not be possible to find someone in the local area with a Speedline 1600 that you could borrow?

M@tt

nah get rid of them ugly pepperpots and get some proper 1.9's on it :)

Tom Fenton

Part of the steath mode was to keep it on the standard wheels, but there is no way I'm paying money to get any more, so seeing as I've about 10 1900 wheels in the garage, including 6 that say "SPEEDLINE" and "ITALY" on them, thats what it will get. Also means I'll have to fit the discs on the back, can't have 1900 wheels with drums, the offset is wrong for a start.

luggy

Ive managed to get 1.9 calipers to clear 1.6 speedlines with a little gentle persuasion with a grinder on the caliper carrier! :)

EdCherry

Mmmm, some people might swap depending on what condition they are in. Still think you should do the stealth mode, you can pickup single 1600 wheels on ebay very cheap if your willing to do the odd 20 mile journey this or that way. Before you know it you'll have 4 speedlines, and can sell the SMRs on it to recoup the money.

boombang
So they said 266mm 306 XSI brakes will fit under 14" wheels.....

Well "they" were wrong, I've offered them up tonight and the inner part of the wheel fouls part of the caliper bracket.

This is with SMR 1600 wheels, perhaps Speedline 1600 wheels would clear? In any case I'm never going to find out, the car will get 1900 wheels on it instead.

I have run them behind Speedline 1.6 rims, wouldn't fit under my SMR 1.6 rims.

Best Pug 14" rim I've found for caliper clearance is the 106 xsi - loads of clearance.

Also worth noting that there are at least 2 different castings of 1.6 Speedline rim. My 205 runs 1.9 calipers and the first set I put on fitted straight over with no rubbing at all. When changed the wheels over to another set of Speedlines, had to grind the edge off. Then put 1.6 SMRs on and had to grind off a touch more.

Baz

no, 1.9 rear brakes don't fit under the non-speedline 1.6 rims, bit strange but there's a difference!!

boombang
Mmmm, some people might swap depending on what condition they are in. Still think you should do the stealth mode, you can pickup single 1600 wheels on ebay very cheap if your willing to do the odd 20 mile journey this or that way. Before you know it you'll have 4 speedlines, and can sell the SMRs on it to recoup the money.

This is how I've ended up with somewhere around 40 1.6 rims....

Baz

or why upon last count i have close to 200 wheels... :)

boombang
or why upon last count i have close to 200 wheels... :)

kin el Baz that's good going!

I did have 40 or so 1.9 wheels too, but got a good supply of used A048s in 14" size, so sold them off.

Did also have a load of 14" 405 Mi16 wheels and 106 xsi rims, but they all went on either cars I scrapped or cars mates scrapped.

Next up for me is going through all the 14s to work out how many are actually Speedlines.

IIRC the two types of Speedline are Italian and French. SMRs IIRC were made in Belgium and Spain.

The 106 xsi rims were made in West Germany!

VisaGTi16v

My friend has a 106 XSi with 14" rallye steels on it and my old zx 16v 266mm front brakes on it which presumably are the same as 306 ones. Bit tight but they fit...

Baz
kin el Baz that's good going!

I did have 40 or so 1.9 wheels too, but got a good supply of used A048s in 14" size, so sold them off.

Where where where???? :lol:

:) Ya, scattered around here and there but i think it's safe to say i have a bit of a worrying wheel fetish!!

Miles

I have fitted rear disc's to 1.6 SMR's and Speedlines with no problems at all, I guess the normall build quality creaps in here :)

But I know they fit the 106 XSi and Rallye so no reason why not the 205

welshpug

405's have 266mm discs and a lower offset disc and many run 14" alloy or steel wheels.

Rippthrough

Tom, the 307 266mm brakes have more disc offset to bring them further away from the wheel, if you want to try them just in case let me know ASAP before I put the heap back on the road!

Tom Fenton

Thanks for the offer Phil, but i'm loathe to spend any more bloody money on the brakes now, so its going to get what I've got and like it!

M@tt

tom i'm getting a 405 at weekend :blush: so if you want to do a straight swap for the brakes/calipers to see if these ones would clear you're more than welcome.

Rippthrough
Thanks for the offer Phil, but i'm loathe to spend any more bloody money on the brakes now, so its going to get what I've got and like it!

That's the best bit, the 106 and lesser 306 lads will take the 266's off you like lightning, and 266 307 brakes are still fairly cheap at the scrapyards 'cause no-one wants 'em, I got mine for £30...

pug_ham

Tom's right, I found this when I fitted the 266 brakes to mine last year or when ever it was.

I had to trim the caliper body & yoke & thats with 1.9 GTi calipers. (if they aren't 1.9 calipers they still have 48mm pistons).

Its not as bad on the Speedline 1.6 alloys but you can barely turn the wheel with SMR's fitted.

My car is running rear discs & Speedline 1.6 alloys without any clearance issues but I'm also sure I've run with SMR's on & had no probolems. :wacko:

Graham.

d-9

Interesting, the 266mm 206 GTI brakes fit under 14" steelies....

Uberderv

I have a set of 266mm calipers from a 206HDI and a 307. The 206HDI calipers are not as wide as in from hub to wheel as the 307 versions. . The 307 calipers also appear to be more 'square' than the 206 version as they do not fit on the 206 yokes :lol: Here are some pics with rough measurements (307 calipers are the dirty ones) The pic is a little wonky because I have been drinking stella but the 206 ones are deffo smaller-

RED- 118mm

GREEN- 112mm

th_DSC00927Medium.jpg

Rippthrough

That's because the 307 brakes use 26mm thick discs vs 22mm for the 206.