• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
unariciflocos

Old Xu9j4

unariciflocos

Hi guys,

My old engine caught metal fillings in the oil and now it's shot to hell. Way to expensive to rebuild it and I don't want to spend 1000 Euros on rebuilding an 8v, so I'm looking for another engine and I found an Xu9j4 that hasn't been started since 1998. Could I take a chance and drop it in the engine bay and see if it will run or should I go for a rebuild?

What power should I expect from a standard Xu9j with Mikuni 43mm carbs and Megajolt and a straight 57mm exhaust front to back with no silencers.

Thanks,

Andrei

DamirGTI

Ouch , 11years :lol: i would try to turn the engine with a socket/spanner via crank pulley , over excessive resistance during the turning might mean sized/rusted piston rings+cylinder walls , "medium" resistance might mean good compression (rings) , while low turning resistance will for sure be a sign of low/bad compression (worn out rings , leaky/burnt valve seats etc.) ..

Is the engine still in the car ? or at least connected with the gearbox and with starter on ? if so , whip the spark plugs out , connect some spare battery with cables directly on the starter and "short" the + and – starter terminals with an screwdriver .. and measure the compression B)

Check the color of all 4 spark plugs carefully , you can read out a few things about the engine state from them ..

Have fun ! :P

Damir

unariciflocos

The engine was stored indoors in a warehouse, it turns and has compression. Problem is it's 400 km away and I'm trying to decide if I should buy it or not.

An engine rebuild wasn't in my budget so I need to sort this cheap. I think I'll buy it, replace oil seals, gasket and bottom end bearings and put it in.

Thanks guys.

omega
The engine was stored indoors in a warehouse, it turns and has compression. Problem is it's 400 km away and I'm trying to decide if I should buy it or not.

An engine rebuild wasn't in my budget so I need to sort this cheap. I think I'll buy it, replace oil seals, gasket and bottom end bearings and put it in.

Thanks guys.

take the plugs out and but some oil down the bores then turn it over with the plugs out

cybernck

how much is it then and is it complete with all the components, including wiring and ECU?

unariciflocos

I bought the engine yesterday, drove 10 hours on twisty snow covered mountain roads to get it but it was worth it.

Compression is around 10 on all cylinders except one which is 6. I'm going to install it and run it maybe the 4-th cylinder will come to life again once it turns a bit.

It has no wiring, ECU or injectors but it's no problem for me since I'm going to be running it on bike carbs and Megajolt. Paid 300 Euros for it but it's a fair price considering how rare they are here and that a complete one goes for 700 to 1000 euros.

I was thinking of srapying some brake part cleaner in the cylinder with the low compression, then some oil in all of them and turn it without plugs as Omega said. Is this stupid? I just don't have the budget for a rebuild now. Will go for a full rebuild in may before the hillclimb season starts.

Sign in to follow this