• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
trialster

Changing A 5th Gear In A Box..easy?

trialster

hey.

looking into using the 5th gear out of my mi16 box (be3) in my 1.6 box (be1).

anyone know how in depth the change is?

using these gears means i'll have a nice cruising 5th gear of 3200 rmp @ 70mph. and 2750 @ 60mph.

cheers

Will

mattbenselin

Rather than butcher a Mi16 'box why not get the exact same 5th gear (0.76) from a 205 1.8D from a scrappy and sell your Mi box for some good money. Also look here: http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=101594.

It's not hard to do by the way just need the right tools. There is a walk through on the net somewhere but I can't find it, must be with my marbles!

mattbenselin

That's it thanks Graham :)

Anulfo

Damn,so a necessary tool is a hydraulic press then to remove 3rd and 4th gear clusters??

welshpug
That's it thanks Graham :)

whoooo?

mattbenselin

Ha! I was on the phone when I wrote that, to Graham! Weird what the mind/fingers do when your not concentrating!

luggy
Damn,so a necessary tool is a hydraulic press then to remove 3rd and 4th gear clusters??

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/...-angle-ge/path/ :D If your unable to get access to a press.

Another option is to use the MI gearset with 1.6 FD? :), economy plus you can get to 60 in second unlike the MI box.

Miles

Not always that easy I'm afraid, You might run into problems changing 5th.

trialster

cheers for the replies. with regards to stripping my mi gearbox down, i'm definitely going to do it as the gearbox mount has snapped off (N)

miles, what troubles might i see in changing te 5th? hard to get off the shaft?

Will

philfingers

not strictly neccesary. I've done 3 (Mi16 CWP into a 1900 box) and used some aluminium wrapped around the 3/4 cluster. Hold it in a big vice and then use a lump hammer with more alloy to protect the end. Comes apart fine.

To get the nuts off the shafts when doing a 5th in the car I use a then brass rod to jam the gears (stops them turning). Comes apart ok. I guess you could do it in the car like this ok, thouh not tried it myself. You need to knock the roll pins out and I can't remember what angle they're at. You may find the inner arch is in the way for the pin punch

trialster

cool, so the 5th gear doesn't need to be pressed off? comes of easily?

ta

Miles

5th Gear is a doddle to remove, Can be done in 5 min's tops even without Air tools, Problem is the bush on it as the shafts are different sizes

trialster
5th Gear is a doddle to remove, Can be done in 5 min's tops even without Air tools, Problem is the bush on it as the shafts are different sizes

ohh right. i can't seem to remove mine :S

i've removed the pin which secures the selctor to the shaft, and taken then 28mm nut off the top.

still wont budge :S

have i missed something obvious ? :S

Will

trialster

can anyone help, i can't get the selector and 5th gear off the box :S

luggy
can anyone help, i can't get the selector and 5th gear off the box :S

And what about the circlip at the end of the other shaft?

trialster
And what about the circlip at the end of the other shaft?

yup, thats already off.

wont budge !

Miles

Just lever it off, some are easier than others

Sign in to follow this