• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Craigo

Balancing A 1.6 Speedline Rim!

Craigo

right, my car is currently at peugeot having some work done, one of the tasks was to fit the new r888 tyres to the speedline 1.6 alloys that we have!

first problem they came back with is that the tyre machines they have do not have enough pressure to put the stiff sidewalled r888's on,

second problem is that they do not have the correct adaptor to balance the centreless rim! so ive now tried a independent tyre place, who will fit and balance the wheels for £20 a rim, which is a bit steep for me! £80 out of the none existant budget may cripple me at the moment!

basically, does anyone know a cheaper way around this?

also how crap are peugeot for not having a tyre machine capable of putting on the tyre in the first place! piss poor if you ask me!!!

:rolleyes:

craig

welshpug

Hmm, I was going to reply that you could take it to Peugeot, DOH!

odd that they don't have a machine capable, unless they are a recent franchise, I would try and find an older established place as they are more likely to have a capable machine as loads of 306's had the solid centred Cyclone alloy wheel, you could also try a Citroen Dealer as the Saxo had a solid centre wheel used on thousands of vehicles, as well as the Xsara :rolleyes:

Garry

Try some other independants.

My locals charge under £10 a corner to fit, valve and balance.

Craigo
Try some other independants.

My locals charge under £10 a corner to fit, valve and balance.

thats what im used to paying, am trying to ring round some places now, 3 out of the 4 reffered me back to the place that charge £20 a rim tho!! will persevere!

projectpug

£20 a rim is way to dear you could travel to Demon Tweeks from where you are and probably get it cheaper.

Look at paying around £10ish a wheel.

Tesstuff
thats what im used to paying, am trying to ring round some places now, 3 out of the 4 reffered me back to the place that charge £20 a rim tho!! will persevere!

At that price it is worth travelling for a better deal.

Craigo

loads of the tyre fitters round here will fit and balance a tyre for £10, its the centreless balancing which is proving difficult to find!

found ATS will do it for £15 a rim, may have to just bite the bullet so to speak!

welshpug

Bury's not too far is it?

Elton Garages Bury Peugeot

128 Bolton Road BURY BL8 2NP Map 01617 643366

allanallen

if theres a selecta-tyre round you give them a try. my local one charges about a fiver a wheel centreless or not

think stockports your closest :)

Edited by allanallen

kilauea

Have you got a "selecta tyres" in your area? I use them and they are usually cheap and deffo do centreless alloys.

Also, don't be afraid to ask for a deal at the moment. Everyone is struggling.

mr_exe

I suppose i'm lucky as a good friend is a tyre fitter/mot tester so I get mates rates. Where he works they don't charge extra for centreless balancing, but they are not happy if they need to dismantle the balancer when they are busy, so i'd suggest going in when are quiet if you can.

Craigo

selecta tyres arent local enough really, i havent got the time before next wednesday to get to stockport unfortunately, thanks for the suggestion tho!

cheapest for far is ATS at £15 a rim, still trying places tho!

Tom Fenton

If you are more bothered about form over function get a holesaw and cut the centres out, needs to be done accurately, but then anywhere can balance them for you.

bensonmi

when i was in ats they did'nt charge any extra for doing it! if your on a budget, you could just balance the front 2 and see how it go's. if you do that just make sure there is no old weights left on the back ones, as they will throw the balance out further.

Craigo
If you are more bothered about form over function get a holesaw and cut the centres out, needs to be done accurately, but then anywhere can balance them for you.

that is a brilliant idea, why didnt i think of that!

Rob Turbo

I don't bother getting my cyclones balanced and have no problems, there's an ATS near me that can do it, but they mustn't know what they're doing, a mate took his 106 there to get centreless wheels balanced and it was worse than before, after taking it back and complaining a couple of times and getting it adjusted again for free, he gave up and pulled the weights off and it was an instant improvement!

hexhamstu

hi-Q was the only place that could do the 1.6 wheels when i had to get one of mine done, it cost me £6 to fit the tyre and balance the wheel. (i just gave the cash to one of the lads that worked there without going into the office)

C_W

For fitment of 888s it's best to warm them up and get the whole carcass up to some kind of temp. At the moment with very cold temps it will be difficult to fit them. I had some fitted in similar temperatures but had kept the tyres in the house overnight before next to a radiator! :huh: went on quite easily then (no more than 25-30psi required). This was on a 10" wide rim too.

Cutting the centre of the wheel out sounds the best idea to me as long as it's not too structural. Seems daft that they don't have regular centre caps!

chris1986

it's a shame you don't live closer to me, i woud have fitted and balanced for nothing. the adaptor that you need is no big deal and would have thought any tyre dealer would have had this. as for the tyre machine not being strong enough to fit the tyres...... well i've never heard that one before. our ancient machine fitted tyres like that all day long. i'd take it to a nation wide or do halfords fit tyres??

Pugnut
Cutting the centre of the wheel out sounds the best idea to me as long as it's not too structural. Seems daft that they don't have regular centre caps!

True, but what it does do is to force you to balance the whole rotating axle rather than the wheel/tyre on its own, which can only be a good thing imo.

Also my local tyre place has a standard charge for balancing regardless of what machine they use for the task.

large

£20 :D:) Thats a F*cking rip off. my local place is £5 a wheel. as said try putting them on and driving the car may be ok I have done this lots of times and never had a problem.

DaveW

20quid a rim! jokers aint they? few years back i got the fronts done at kwik fit for £10 but that was after trying loads of places, so i never used 1.6 alloys again such is the pain of getting them done.

C_W
True, but what it does do is to force you to balance the whole rotating axle rather than the wheel/tyre on its own, which can only be a good thing imo.

You mean by "on the car" balancing? I think that's quite rare to find thesedays.

KRISKARRERA

I find most places get a bit uppity tht you want tyres fitted that you've not bought from them and then charge so much you might as well have bought from them.