• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atari Boy

Car Carpet Underlay/sound Proofing.

Atari Boy

I removed the carpet and soundproofing in my 205 yesterday. I will be putting the carpet back but in places the sound proofing is pretty much ruined.

What could I replace it with? I have been thinking of trying some carpet underlay, has anyone done this or used something else?

Carpet underlay is cheap and easily bought but it is not as thick as then OE stuff.

Thanks

Jonny

Goliath

You can buy underlay for cars which is almost the same as the OE stuff, thats what I use. I don't think house underlay will have quite the same effect, it should do but won't be quite the same.

M@tt

i just went to the bins round the back of the local allied carpets and got some carpet from there. They usually have huge offcuts you can just make some replacement panels from. works a treat

Atari Boy

I should have explained, and this will probably sound stupid now, but I am putting a cage in the car so it will never be the quietest of cars. I want the carpet to ‘soften’ things a little and see how I get on with domestic carpet underlay, I bet it will be so much cheaper.

Rom

I used stick on stuff like dynamat. Doesnt 'soften' the feel. But works, and stops panels flexing so much.

I did try some normal type stuff, but ditched it after my screen leaked and made everything mush ! the dynamat stuff was fine, so its all i use now.

Atari Boy

Thanks Rom, I have never heard of this stuff, any tips on best place to buy it, I have checked of eBay and incarexpress, any other places?

omega
Thanks Rom, I have never heard of this stuff, any tips on best place to buy it, I have checked of eBay and incarexpress, any other places?

this is not cheap

Anthony

Flashing tape from the likes of B&Q makes a cheap, if not quite as effective, alternative to dynamat. I'm sure searching will bring up more information, or certainly car audio forums should have many topics on the subject.

Rom

I used some like these . But i got them from a bodyshop supplies company, was years ago, the name evades me.

Think i paid about £10 a box, cant remember how many boxes i used, 3 or 4 maybe ? I done the entire floor, doors, quarter panels etc.

Just heat it up, and stick it on. Surface has to cleanish, its very sticky, but wont stick to greasy / dusty surfaces too well.

As said, its not the cheapest way, Dynamat itself is a lot more. But this is ok stuff.

When you close my doors it sounds almost well build :)

TRYNKEEPUP

Im in the carpet trade myself, And a few people have asked me over the years about this, I do not usually recommed rubber underlay,.I say use under felt, much the same as underlay but made of felt, same thickness, Has a much more firm feel rather than to soft, dosent wear out as quick either, any good carpet shops sell this.

platty

Its worth mentioning that the dynamat style sound deadening is heavy.

GLPoomobile

I used a £20 roll of underlay from Car Builder Solutions.

Atari Boy
Its worth mentioning that the dynamat style sound deadening is heavy.

Yes it is.

I will now contradict myself. The car is going to be caged with bucket seats, although I am not in a quest to build the lightest 205 ever. I want to keep the interior as much as possible though, so I plan to refit the carpet and ideally some sort of underlay, mainly though so the carpet fits back as it should.

Sorry for the ramble.

Rom

It is a lot heavier than other types of underlay / deadening. Though the standard stuff is pretty heavy, its thick padding stuff and has a bitumen type backing i think?

I did consider the weight before using it, but thought seeing as i dumped all standard deadening it would even out. I cant remember what it weighs, 2-3 kg per box max id expect.

If anything in my car needs to lose weight.....its me :o

Alfie
I removed the carpet and soundproofing in my 205 yesterday. I will be putting the carpet back but in places the sound proofing is pretty much ruined.

What could I replace it with? I have been thinking of trying some carpet underlay, has anyone done this or used something else?

Carpet underlay is cheap and easily bought but it is not as thick as then OE stuff.

Thanks

Jonny

Try Woolies trim. you can get there via Google, very helpful people who will have exactly what you need. :o

Atari Boy
If anything in my car needs to lose weight.....its me :o

Ha ha, me too!

Atari Boy

Well I have just bought this, for £5, 8 x 5 ft roll of felt underlay. It is not super thick, probably 2 cm but I am happy.

photo-1.jpg

I think I will either use my existing underlay as a template or more likely cut out the knackered section and replace it with a double layer of this. It is only the passangers footwell area after all.

Thank you for everyone’s input.