• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hispetdog

1.6 Gearbox Change For 1.9?

hispetdog

my 1.6 gti is due a gearbox rebuild as its pretty shot. i have a 1.9 gti that I have used for parts and was wondering what the difference is with the 2 gearboxes? would it really matter to much if I changed my 1.6 box for my 1.9 box?

Thanks

Goliath

Try a search, the 2 gearboxed have been compared many times.

In short it would be fine to swap them over but the 1.9 'box has slightly longer ratio's so you would notice a drop in acceleration but a bit more MPG.

GLPoomobile

I don't think it would make for a very pleasant driving experience. Would ruin the fun of a 1.6. If you HAD to fit a 1.9 box then my tongue in cheek suggestion would be to install the 1.9 engine with it!

large

As said. As long as they are both the same type be1 or be3 it would be a straight swap.

Guest 205dangti

i thought you could put either a be1 or be3 box on, arent they same as long as youve got the lift for reverse and a new clutch cable? ive got one planned.

Goliath
i thought you could put either a be1 or be3 box on, arent they same as long as youve got the lift for reverse and a new clutch cable? ive got one planned.

Yes you can, but it is only a straight swap if they are the same, like Large said. With the Be1 setup you can fit a Be1 box in place of a Be3 but that is extra work.

Sign in to follow this