• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest leelee

1.6 Gti 307 Brake Upgrade

Guest leelee

hey im planning on doing the 307 brake upgrade on my 1.6 gti to 283mm (eventually get vented disks and greenstuff pads) disks. im aware the 1.6 gti has the different hubs and smaller alloys. i have bought the 15 speedlines so thats not an issue, but i dont know about the hubs. i know the yokes for the 307 callipers wont fit on the 1.6 hubs but can i just replace them with any other 205 models hubs (ive been told the diesal ones will fit). what are the actual differneces (apart from the yoke bolt pitch) between the 1.6 hub and other 205s hubs? cheers :lol:

Anthony

A search would have revealed this.

Base model 205 hubs are a direct swap for your 1.6 GTi ones and are the correct offset for 307 brakes (and other common upgrades, like 306 GTi-6)

Guest leelee

i did try to search for it but i couldnt find it, thanks very much anyway. what would be more effectiver out of the 307 283mm or the gti6 brakes bearing in mind im looking to do the gti 6 conversion but i have standard rear drums?

mrswampy
i did try to search for it but i couldnt find it, thanks very much anyway. what would be more effectiver out of the 307 283mm or the gti6 brakes bearing in mind im looking to do the gti 6 conversion but i have standard rear drums?

differance in performance is negligable

piston area is slightly larger on the gti6 calipers

oh and id avoid greenstuff anything!

Anthony

Both are plenty sufficient (some would say overkill) for stopping a 205 so I wouldn't worry too much about which of the two.

1.6 GTi rear drums in good working order are also perfectly upto the job, and I'm not convinced that rear disks are much of an "upgrade", atleast in terms of stopping power.

Guest leelee

yeh as said i figured that as i stripped the car out and i was going to go for a gti6 conversion i wouldnt bother putting the 1.9 rear beam with the disks as most the weight is at the front, and i want to keep this a semi budget build. i just realied the gti6 disks are also 283 mm or so so i'll try pick them up when i buy the engine and gearbox. im unsure about greenstuff. i have a reliable source who does a lot of work on racing healys and he says that greenstuff are fine as long as u use them on new disks and that if u just put them in ur calipers with the same old disks then they will most likely crack the disks. this might require more investigation as i was planning on buying grooved and/or vented disks which i would prefer not to crack as soon as i attempt to brake!

Anthony

I've personally had poor experiences with Greenstuff pads - some seem OK, whereas others are dire frankly. Seems that QA is very inconsistant.

Personally I run Ferodo pads on my cars - Premier for exclusively road going cars, and DS2500 for ones that see both road and trackday (ab)use.

mrswampy

I ran greenstuff for a while

they gave me awful vibration upon brakeing though!

soon got hackd off and put some proper pads on, pagid rs4 blue.

These beat greenstuff in every way apart from price

The greenstuff made good paper weights though!