• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JimLad

Noisey Power Steering

JimLad

Tried searching for similar probs but couldn't find what I was looking for...

My girlfriend's GTi-6 makes a terrible noise when turning the steering. It's like the noise when it's on full lock and straining but it does it even if you turn a tiny bit.

If I jack the car up it doesn't do it or when the ps pump belt is removed. The pump is a reconditioned one only a few months old and there is plenty of fluid and no obvious leaks.

Is it the ram, the rack or something else???

Cheers

thirdtimelucky

First make shaw the belt is not slipping then the next chepest option would change the PAS fluid as if it has got contamanated with something like water or a non compatible oil it would cause the PAS fluid to fome up causing the pump to make that noise. make sure you use the correct oil it is inportant on some pumps. if after that and the fluid is on the cold max line when the fluid is cold its more than likley you have got another faulty pump. If it was supplied and fitted by a garage give them a ring, they should change it for free if its not that old. if you fitted it your self contact the supplier and see what they will do.

Alteran

With the wheels off the ground there is no load on the pump, hence no noise. With the belt off, the pump isn't turning so again there will be no noise. If the fluid is where it should be then almost definitey it's a faulty PAS pump. When you say reconditioned is it a fully rebuilt one? Or just a second hand unit? Alarm bells are ringing if it's a rebuilt non genuine pump. Try a second hand genuine pump you know is good (eBay?) before looking into the rack.

JimLad

Thanks for the replies.

The pump is a fully rebuilt one, not a second hand one. The belt wasn't slipping and there was no foam in the pas fluid.

Have just got a cheap low mileage rack, ram and pump so will try this one and if it cures it will being having words with the company that supplied the recon pump.

Mikey S
Thanks for the replies.

The pump is a fully rebuilt one, not a second hand one. The belt wasn't slipping and there was no foam in the pas fluid.

Have just got a cheap low mileage rack, ram and pump so will try this one and if it cures it will being having words with the company that supplied the recon pump.

its more than likely going to be the pump. but, was the pas fluid flushed before the pump was fitted? they wont honour the warrantly on it if it wasnt, and they have the means to check! ive been there and got that t-shirt :lol:

mike

marksorrento205

I have a gti6 pump if you need one. PM me