• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
marsy

Help Needed! Gearbox Or Clutch Problem Maybe?

marsy

Hi guys, i need to pick your brains again as you’ve been spot on with every other problem I’ve had. :P

I was telling my mate Wednesday night how awesome my 205 is, and then Thursday this happens:-

When leaving work i went from 1st gear to move into 2nd but when releasing it from 1st it felt slightly stiff, and a grinding hissing noise started. I could not get it into 2nd gear at all, so the car came to a stop. With the car stopped but still running, i had it in neutral, but could not put it into 1st neither, the hissing noise was happing but when i dipped the clutch it either went quieter or louder (sorry guys i really cant remember which it was). In the end i managed to force it into 1st and drive back off, this again didn’t sound too healthy. When driving then moved it into 2nd this was abit stiff again but at least i could select the gear, still making a noise, then into 3rd gear but after a minute or so in this gear the noise stopped.

A 15 minute drive home and i noticed gear changing becoming easier (still not great though) and during the trip home i noticed my gearstick had become slightly more sloppy (not very bad, but i could tell a slight difference) but like said was still stiff and tight when putting into gear which was for 1,2,3 and 4th gear.

I got it home checked all the gear linkage first and all seems fine, i then adjusted the clutch cable.

Driving it today and i can select all my gears fine, gear stick is slightly more sloppier than before but nothing major and still feels nice (Before this happened it was perfect).

1st and 2nd Gear are fine but...

When steadily driving and moving into 3rd gear im getting a clonk and a crunch. Putting into the gear though is fine (it’s not tight or hard)

Then when moving into 4th steadily i seem to be getting a clonk during the change and then when in 4th a worse crunching sound. (This is the same though putting into the gear is fine). These sounds are not constant though, just for a few seconds when putting into gear.

5th gear then is fine.

But...

When constantly accelerating fast though through the gear's they are all fine with no bad clonking or crunching. It’s pretty much perfect.

And when going down the box, all the gears are fine and easy to access with no bad noises.

I’m in abit of a pickle now as not too sure what ive done and what damaged ive caused. At the moment its that into 3rd and into 4th gear problem.

If anyone could help out that would be great. My clutch and gearbox seemed fine before this happened so all these problems are new.

It’s a 1.9 with a BE3 GearBox. Reverse below 5th.

Thanks!

Matt

large

Check the bolts holding it onto the engine have not come out (this happens).

I have a 1.9 be3 out the back and I am in Maerdy :P

Sign in to follow this