• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Richie-Van-GTi

Be3 Bell Housing On Be1 Box?

Richie-Van-GTi

anyone know if the be3 bell housing bolts straight to a be1 box?

I want to switch to be3 on the 1.6 but want to retain the 1.6 ratios. I can get bell housing and arm F.O.C for a be3 so seems stupid to buy a be3 1.6 box.

welshpug

better to swap the internals over than the bellhousings, though I'm not sure if they will all fit.

is your BE1 too early to take a BE3 mechanism? my 89 BE1 has the holes for a BE3 type clutch arm, as did the late 87 BE1 1.6 that I fitted an Mi16 into last year.

luggy

If youre going to swap be1 internals into a be3 remember on the output shaft to remove and rotate the 1st/2nd gear selector so that the reverse gear is facing the opposite way, same with the reverse idler. Did this for Applemobile on his s16 conversion when he found out that there was no CPS hole in his be1 gearbox after he fitted it:ph34r:

Richie-Van-GTi

I havent checked for the hole if Im totally honest, I ws more thinking of the best options if it doesnt have the hole. Encouraging to know you had an 87 and 89 with holes since mine is an early 89.

Luggy I dont want to go that route as I aim to keep the car as original as possible such as gearstick and lift up reverse. Just the be1 clutch is rubbish in terms of feel as they always feel a bit wierd IMHO.

welshpug

my BE1 clutch doesn't feel any different to a BE3, I have replaced the bushes on the arm though, they happen to be the same as the bushes used on the L linkage.

Richie-Van-GTi

Ive only drove 3 and all of them felt like they were attached with chewing gum :P , all linkages etc are correct, it just never feels quite right. I drive my be3 405 everyday along with other be3's and notice when going from one to the other a very significant difference in feel. The clutch itself seems fine, no judder or slip etc and no rattle on the bearing. Its just the operation.

welshpug

odd, mine feels 100% fine :P that's with a 1.9 Mi pressure plate too

Cloverleaf

I converted a be1 to be3 style when I didn't have the holes for the clutch arm. Just drilled the casing as you could see where the holes would be and glued the bushes in for good measure.

Miles

Late 89 you will be fine unless it's been changed in the past, 1987 was when the holes started appearing in them

Richie-Van-GTi

excellent, the cars away having some minting done to the bodywork so as soon as it comes back I'll get it converted over and pop a new bottom mount on along with brakes and she can then be sold :)

Sign in to follow this