• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dcc

309 Rear Beams

dcc

Im going to change the rear beam on my 205 shortly.

Do all 309 beams fit? as I think I could get hold of one but im not sure it would be a gti item.

If they do, some of them are drum brakes, will it be ok to fit disks straight to them, or is a small bit of fabrication required?

Baz

Yes.

tracktoy
Yes.

:)

so are all 309 beams the same width?

and could the drums be swapped for the discs and calipers from a 205?

Anthony

All 309 beams are basically the same width, give or take a few millimeter trackwidth difference between drums and disks.

You can fit a non-GTi beam straight on, but it's not really advised - without the thicker torsion and anti-roll bars from the 309 GTi beam, it's going to be a downgrade if anything as the non-GTi beams have thinner torsion and anti-roll bars. You can use the beamtube and trailing arm shafts from the base model 309 beam to rebuild a knackered 309 GTi beam, or swap the GTi torsion/anti-roll bars over.

You can change from drums to disks exactly the same way as doing so on a 205, and you could use the 205 bits if required - you'll need to swap the stub axles, hubs, caliper mount etc.