• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
projectpug

Rear Brake Options

projectpug

Hi all,

Just wondering if there are any lightweight options for changing the rear calipers i know they don't need to be any bigger due to the nature of the cars weight distribution. Any one have any ideas/thoughts on this and are there kits out there allready or will it have to be a bespoke system?

thanks in advance

Phil

Edited by projectpug

tom_m

the oe kit isn't all that heavy!

welshpug

you can get lighter discs from Rippthrough I believe, the calipers themselves aren't that heavy and do incorporate the handbrake so it'd be quite expensive to improve on their weight.

projectpug

What do the lighter rear discs consist of? Does anyone know the stock rear caliper weight/disc weight?

Batfink

colin satchell will be looking at kart brakes at some point

tom_m
colin satchell will be looking at kart brakes at some point

thats a chapman-esque commitment to lightness that, and slightly OTT if you ask me! :rolleyes:

if you're lightening at the back surely you want to tackle the real running gear before making your brakes paper thin?

projectpug

Kart brakes , I take it these are similar to a motorcycle?

Tom Fenton
thats a chapman-esque commitment to lightness that, and slightly OTT if you ask me! :rolleyes:

if you're lightening at the back surely you want to tackle the real running gear before making your brakes paper thin?

I have to disagree, to make a truly lightweight car everything has to come under scrutiny to see if it can be made lighter.

For example, here are the rear brakes on the Mini turbo drag car I helped build and drive.

Photo-0093.jpg

Fabricated alloy rear trailing arms, these bolt to the rear heelboard on brackets so do away with the subframe assy. Alloy rear hubs incorporating a bell for the 4mm thick discs. Titanium wheel centrelock system. Motorbike lightweight calipers, still good enough to lock the wheels.

Thats an extreme example I know, but that is the lengths needed to build a 460kg Mini, and any weight saving especially unsprung, is worth the effort.

Edited by Tom Fenton

projectpug

That looks sweet Tom just the sort of reply i was after :rolleyes:. Has anyone fitted motorbike stuff to a 205?

Spiky

be the first :rolleyes:

tom_m
I have to disagree, to make a truly lightweight car everything has to come under scrutiny to see if it can be made lighter.

For example, here are the rear brakes on the Mini turbo drag car I helped build and drive.

Fabricated alloy rear trailing arms, these bolt to the rear heelboard on brackets so do away with the subframe assy. Alloy rear hubs incorporating a bell for the 4mm thick discs. Titanium wheel centrelock system. Motorbike lightweight calipers, still good enough to lock the wheels.

Thats an extreme example I know, but that is the lengths needed to build a 460kg Mini, and any weight saving especially unsprung, is worth the effort.

granted, if you've got uber light running gear like that it makes sense, but if you're not going to get rid of the lumps of pig iron that make up the trailing arms i don't see the point of shaving a couple of grams of unsprung mass by reducing the mass of your brakes

welshpug
granted, if you've got uber light running gear like that it makes sense, but if you're not going to get rid of the lumps of pig iron that make up the trailing arms i don't see the point of shaving a couple of grams of unsprung mass by reducing the mass of your brakes

that's what a Harry Hockley trailing arm/rear coilover setup does, though I'm not sure how much lighter it is.

Tom Fenton

I see what you are saying, but the approach to a light car has to be every little helps, as it all contributes.

Rippthrough

Especially unsprung, rotating mass!

MidlifeRearBrakes.jpg

Or for the hardcore running hard pads and a light car:

SprintDisc1.jpg

Spiky

how much are they?

i run ds3000's on the rear :rolleyes:

Rippthrough

£90 a pair when they're in full production, ductile iron from SBS cast blanks, top one is 1.1KG lighter than stock, bottom one is 1.35KG lighter.

Edited by Rippthrough

ablister

i have bigger brakes on my push bike!

Rippthrough
i have bigger brakes on my push bike!

See if these fit on your bike:

GSRbrake.gif

projectpug

Nice 2.7kg weight swaving when using the ultra light discs :).

Rippthrough

And a handbrake that actually works to boot :)

projectpug

Sounds like the perfect solution. Reduce weight without it costing the earth!

ablister
See if these fit on your bike:

GSRbrake.gif

maybe not then :)

Dj_mini
That looks sweet Tom just the sort of reply i was after :). Has anyone fitted motorbike stuff to a 205?

Keep and eye out in the project section soon i have a bit of work in progress to be finished ;)

projectpug

Sure will do Dj :)