• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hexhamstu

Picture Request

hexhamstu

the spring that makes the throttle return, on an 8v, cheers.

dcc

dont think he did it deliberately :lol:

DrSarty
Enough already!!

:lol:

Idiot

I'd like to help Stu. Have you looked on here?

Why do you a need a pic or photo?

On the 8v, is it a long spring which compresses along its axis or a coil spring that rotates like on a throttle spindle?

EDIT: Stu - you could close the other topics (bottom left in 'forum options').

Edited by DrSarty

welshpug

its a coil spring that fits around the throttle quadrant, and hooks into the outer cable stop that's bolted down under one of the throttle body nuts.

hexhamstu

well, what the hell happened there? i only made one topic.

there is a spring on there but it looks like a bodge as it sticks out and gets stuck at WOT which is quite nerve racking.

Edited by hexhamstu

welshpug

might well just need a tweak, got a pic?

here's my pic;

th_std8vthrottlebody.jpg

hexhamstu

aaah i dont think that the spring is in that hole, the throttle is really light and returns badly so i guess this is it. im gonna go out side and sort it.

DrSarty

:lol:

Ask 4 times, and ye shall receive.

welshpug

8!! :lol: had a dig around in my hundreds of pictures, but I haven't got an actual one of the offending part :lol:

hexhamstu

right found where it was sticking and the spring is all in as it should be, but it is still extremely light! i can live with it, but do you think changing the spring would help? how light is everyone elses throttle this one has literally no resistance.

DrSarty
right found where it was sticking and the spring is all in as it should be, but it is still extremely light! i can live with it, but do you think changing the spring would help? how light is everyone elses throttle this one has literally no resistance.

You really do want/benefit from a decent return spring. It simply has to function such that on lift-off throttle, you can concentrate on other matters and not have the engine doing its own thing and hanging. It's off-putting (behaves like a Vectra :lol: ), will be uneconomical and could be downright dangerous.

Order a new part from Pug (can't be that much), or remove and trawl the scrappies for something very similar.

welshpug

if it sits in place but is a bit weak I'd add a normal linear spring to it, you have to do this on a Logbooked car so I'll see if I can dig a pic off a mate's rally car :lol:

on the other hand, as Sarty said;

1654 57 ACCELERT SPRING 3.46 GBP

Edited by welshpug

hexhamstu

great, now that the small problems are half fixed, just need a rear beam :|

welshpug

DOH!

gimme a shout if you need a hand with it.

happygoron

Swap the beam from your blue one maybe? Then you'll have a known good car to run about in while you fix the blue one back up!

hexhamstu
Swap the beam from your blue one maybe? Then you'll have a known good car to run about in while you fix the blue one back up!

that was my first thought, but its bit of a faff on to not actually fix anything.

DrSarty
that was my first thought, but its bit of a faff on to not actually fix anything.

?

Do you want cars to fix or drive?

The beam swap is clamping 2 brake lines, drop & refit a beam (6 bolts) and refit the handbrake cables if applicable. Finally, (advisably) a brake bleed. Not that much of a faff!

Edited by DrSarty

welshpug

you can get the bearings for less direct from peugeot/citroen under a different part number :lol:

I would do as mentioned above tbh! you can at least strip the beam apart and source parts as required rather than having to get it all done in one go which can turn out more expensive.

hexhamstu
you can get the bearings for less direct from peugeot/citroen under a different part number :lol:

I would do as mentioned above tbh! you can at least strip the beam apart and source parts as required rather than having to get it all done in one go which can turn out more expensive.

i suppose BUT i dont want the miami to be sitting on axle stands in the student village, to easy to knock off. so what i might do is buy a beam and rebuild that, then swap them over. the car is drivable the way it is.

hexhamstu
?

Do you want cars to fix or drive?

The beam swap is clamping 2 brake lines, drop & refit a beam (6 bolts) and refit the handbrake cables if applicable. Finally, (advisably) a brake bleed. Not that much of a faff!

why would i need to bleed the brakes since the lines haven't been removed?

DrSarty
why would i need to bleed the brakes since the lines haven't been removed?

Naturally that depends if you swapped calipers/drums in the process. If you haven't, no need.

hexhamstu
Naturally that depends if you swapped calipers/drums in the process. If you haven't, no need.

ah right. sorted.