• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mainline

1.6 Brake Hubs And Handbrake Issues

mainline

Hey there, just got back from the MOT man having replaced the rear beam and other bits and it looks like I have made a balls up of adjusting / fitting rear brake shoes and handbrake cables.

Its failed on:

OSR mechanical brake component securing device loose - which sounds straightforward enough.

NSR severe bind mechanical brake component has restricted free movement.

OSR rear brake recording little or no effort

Handbrake efficiency below requirements.

If anyone could guide me through what to adjust and what order I would be really grateful.

Known issues are:

I just realised that I bled the brakes in the wrong order :D I did the wrong side first. Would this make a difference?

I wasn't exactly sure how to set the serrated adjusters. I think by the results of the MOT I may have over-adjusted one side and under adjusted the other. Could someone guide me over how to set them and what to do?

I replaced both handbrake cables, but one seems to be "longer" than the other. Is this down to the adjusters again?

Hope someone can help!

Cheers

Ian

mainline

Think I might have found the answer.

I've definitely over tightened the handbrake.

The advice I could find was slacken the cables off, check that the drum's aren't rubbing/binding.

If they are, pop the drums off and wind back the adjusters till the drums spin freely, stomp the pedal a dozen times to adjust the shoes back up (that's if the mechanism is working...) then re-adjust cables

QUOTE (chris-stdt @ Dec 8 2008, 10:51 AM)

Ive tryed that before but my brakes dont seem to self adjust

Which parts may need replacing ?

its because the adjusters are s*it. you need to remove the drums, slacken the handbrake cable, make sure theres no lip on the drum (grind it flat if neccesary), refit the drums and adjust the rear brakes upto the drums until theres a slight bind. then readjust the handbrake up. about 6 clicks is fine.

-------------------

Sound sensible? :D

welshpug

yes, also check that you have fitted the cables to the correct side of the car, sounds like you may have if they look to be a different length at the handbrake when clipped up securely.

mainline

that would be a quite brilliant elementary mistake, but its not beyond the realms of possibilty :D

there's only a bit of difference, maybe 1-2cm. . . .

welshpug

yeah, that's all it is....

platty

I done the exact same thing last weekend, changed over a rear beam(and complete front subframe). I bought one of those auto brake bleeders from Halfruads, about £16 iirc. Made life soo much easier. Im not sure it makes a difference what order you bleed them in. As long as you get free flowing fluid at each corner surely thats all it takes.

For reference, I done fronts, then rears, and brakes seem to be working great.

Tom Fenton

The self adjusters are monumentally s*ite and never seem to self adjust! Heres what I'd do

1) Slacken off handbrake cables till they are loose from inside car.

2) Pump brake pedal to centralise shoes

3) Adjust shoes up to drum- you can either do this by taking the drum off, or it is also possible to spin the adjuster wheel through one of the wheel bolt holes with a medium flat blade screwdriver.

4) With the shoes adjusted they should "tickle" the drum but you should be able to turn the drum easily by hand

5) Then readjust the handbrake cables- they don't need to be super tight, aim for about 5 clicks on lever.

mainline

thanks tom clear and concise as always. :unsure:

think my bleeding process was right, just the adjustment that I made a right pigs ear of!