• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skinner2k3

Rear Screen Removal

skinner2k3

1. Is it a fairly simple stanley knife round the edge job?

I have a perspex window to fit.

2. How have people fixed perspex window in? Just sealant or nuts/bolts/rivets etc???

Thanks

Ben

GTI6BOY

Smash the rear window out and remove all the old sealant.

Best to use a uv window sealant so it does not go funny in the sun

Rom

Once the seals out, it can be removed by cutting round all the sealant.

Its not the nicest of jobs. But smashing it is such a mess and a waste :unsure:

boombang

I've done three now, in my quest to find a rust free tailgate.

I too vote for sticking it inside a few decent thick bin bags and smashing it. So much messing about to cut around, but there is a tool out there that whips round and has it out in seconds.

skinner2k3

Sounds fun. I have looked at the tools on ebay as well, they are only about a tenner so might try one of those.

If I do smash it I was thinking of draping an old bed sheet over the boot opening, shutting the hatch down on it to trap it then smash the glass and hope the sheet contains it. Maybe a nice gaffa tape cross will reduce the mess??

Its a non formed flat rear window, will sealant hold it or will I need to nut/bolt it too??

t16ryan

I smashed mine out, then with a heat gun and scrapper scrapped the sealant off, I got a universal door seal fitted a treat, so no need for sealant

New004.jpg

skinner2k3

That looks nice. Did you have to modify the hatch at all to take a seal?

I see you have some bolts/screws are they required all the way round or just to seal the top?

t16ryan

The polycarb window sits on top on the seal and have screwed it in with about 7 inch gaps all the way round, and its doesnt leak at all, the hatch didnt need modifying to take the seal i also done this on the side windows

skinner2k3

Ah yes, now I look a bit closer I can see its on top. I thought it was inside the rubber like std non-opening rear 1/4 windows.

cir287

I used a stanley knife and then threaded a wire through, tied at each end to a couple of screw drivers and pull around, at least that way you dont have to spend half the night with the hoover. I have always used at least a few fasteners (stainless steel) an sealant on the replacement.

205 ones are handy enough from a flat sheet, try a 309 one if you want fun.