• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
philfingers

Painting 1900 Wheels For White Rally Car

philfingers

Was thinking of painting my wheels as they're a bit rough. I have a compressor, for rubbing down and painting.

What about colour? I was thinking of black, white or gold. Car is a white ph1. Was thinking of trying to spray with hammerite (smooth!) as it gives a nice hard finish. Not over keen on using 2k as I don't have a mask suitable for it.

What do you all think about colour? I quite like gold. Not sure on white, if it's the wrong shade to the POWT code might look a bit odd. Is it worth laquering over the top?

Anyone got any pics of their wheels in differnt colours?

Phil

Anthony

Gold, so long as it's the correct shade, would get my vote :)

Baz

Or black, white looke poo on white cars unless the same shade as the car.

Also, Hammerite IMO isn't that good on wheels, unless used with a correct primer and lacquer, which i have no idea what would be, seems to chip and fall straight off in my experience!

SPGTi

Phil,

Stop being a tart, no one sees the wheels at night !!! :)

Steve

ps I always like black wheels

jimistdt

I would vote Gold, as on the Sccobies, maybe a shade darker. When I had my wheels done in white, the guy said I could have laquer over them if I wanted, but in his experience they tend to 'yellow' slightly.

philfingers
Or black, white looke poo on white cars unless the same shade as the car.

Also, Hammerite IMO isn't that good on wheels, unless used with a correct primer and lacquer, which i have no idea what would be, seems to chip and fall straight off in my experience!

I've painted a few things for the car using a UPOL etch primer (All just brushed on) and black hammerite on top and it seems pretty hard. If it's black i guess it won't look too bad without lacquer as the brake dust is hardly likely to discolour it!

Must give it a go later in the week. Gold or black it is then, or maybe some gold and some black!

Phil

platty

Black, definately. With some gold 'Speedline' stickers :) there's a fella selling them on here.

Looks sweet on white, red, blue, hell most colour pugs.

Why don't you do all the donkey work, then get them powder coated. Tough as nails, perfect finish, and if you do all the prep'ing, cheap too.

Edited by platty

stuart

My wheels are still gold (previous owner...) they actually look ok on white though surprisingly.

When I re-do them one set is going anthracite, one white and the other with glow in the dark paint if I can get it for something a bit different at night :)

philfingers
My wheels are still gold (previous owner...) they actually look ok on white though surprisingly.

When I re-do them one set is going anthracite, one white and the other with glow in the dark paint if I can get it for something a bit different at night :)

White looks good on miami or red cars. Black's ok on white, so is gold. Would have them powder coated but i wasn't going to removed the tyres, just do them with the tyres on the rim, just mask them off.

not sure I could be bothered changing wheels when it goes dark tho, turning the lights on is enough for me!!!

Phil

bensonmi

id say black on a white 205,but white also suits the rally look!

philfingers

looks good. Like the anthracite. What sort of paint did you use for this, 2k or celly? and lacquer? Your finish looks fantastic. I was going to use U pol etch primer, then a high build primer, then hammerite but would welcome your advice

Phil

toddydal

the wheels were in good condition to start with so all i did was to get my mate to scotch the wheels off with a grey scotch brite,got a tin of arosol wheel silver,arosol graphite grey,,painted the rim with the silver then let it dry for 10mins,then i masked the silver up for the graphite grey,pulled the masking back off the silver rim and then i clearcoated over the whole wheel with 2k clearcoat,,,,,,done the same with the white but i sprayed the white with my spray gun as i had white left over from doing my mates 1.6,,,,,,,,,,,if your wheels are rough then i would rub the wheels down with 180,etch prime then high build primer,rub primer down with 800 then paint

philfingers
the wheels were in good condition to start with so all i did was to get my mate to scotch the wheels off with a grey scotch brite,got a tin of arosol wheel silver,arosol graphite grey,,painted the rim with the silver then let it dry for 10mins,then i masked the silver up for the graphite grey,pulled the masking back off the silver rim and then i clearcoated over the whole wheel with 2k clearcoat,,,,,,done the same with the white but i sprayed the white with my spray gun as i had white left over from doing my mates 1.6,,,,,,,,,,,if your wheels are rough then i would rub the wheels down with 180,etch prime then high build primer,rub primer down with 800 then paint

Thanks for the info. What's the deal with 2k clearcoat. Do you really need a mask with this stuff. Is if easy to use? I never used 2k, only celly. The 2k CC is good for antichipping I guess?

Phil

gti-hysteria

i like white :blush:

post-7607-1233604781_thumb.jpg

toddydal

yes your supposed to use a airfed mask but i just used a normal facemask not a good idea,put a coat of clear on then go outside for ten mins,then anothercoat on and then open the doors to let the fumes out,it only takes about 30 seconds a coat but if you want it to look good and very shiney you have to put 2k clear on.were gona try and get some extraction in the garage we use, i have a air fed mask in the garage but it uses to much air and our compressor struggles

Chris H

I'd vote for white too...just did my wheels with cheap halfords wheel spray paint.

post-5648-1233606085_thumb.jpg